Mail.app message window now has extra annoying control

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nicwolff, Sep 28, 2010.

1. nicwolff macrumors newbie

My Mail.app message windows now have an annoying additional control to the right of the "Subject" field, which pops a menu that lets me select additional Address fields to show, and a Priority field. It looks like this:

http://angel.net/~nic/mefi/Mail.app message window.png

and it selected –*out of order for extra annoying! –*when you hit "Tab" in the Subject field, or shift-Tab in the body area.

I know this thing didn't used to be there, because I didn't used to hate Mail.app... how can I make it go away?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

I think that control is now a standard part of Mail. At least, I have it using Mail Version 4.3 (1081) on OS X 10.6.4.

But for me, the control is never part of the tab or shift-tab cycle. If I press tab from the subject field the message body field comes next.

I didn't see any preferences within Mail to enable the behavior you are seeing. So I'm wondering---have you installed any third-party Mail plugins? Anything in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles, where ~ denotes your home folder?

3. nicwolff thread starter macrumors newbie

Good thought - but I only have GrowlMail installed, and removing it didn't change the tab behavior.

AH! If everyone has this control, maybe I just never noticed it because I wasn't tabbing to it?

Yes —*I had "All controls" selected under "press Tab to move keyboard focus between" on the Keyboard prefs pane! Maybe I hit Ctrl-fn-7 at some point by accident.

Thank you!

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

You're welcome. Wasn't aware that such a keyboard option even existed!