Mail.app messages with mobileme not saved since yesterday

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Apr 13, 2009.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    A number of times recently when I have opened Mail.app I get a message that says something like identity certificate of smtp.me.com cannot be validated. And I clicked continue anyway.

Anyhow, over the next day since opening it I created about 10 drafts and was working on them, and didn't particularly notice I wasn't receiving mail. I didn't notice anything was wrong until I finished one of the drafts this morning and sent it. It never sent. The window dissapeared but the message didn't appear in drafts or sent. So I took a look at the Activity window and saw about 15 things it was trying to do and not finishing any of them. I went through all my other drafts and tried saving them manually and they wouldn't save. They kept showing the darkened red close button to show thye hadn't been saved.

I went back to Activity and tried hitting the stop sign next to each process, but after doing that I still couldn't save the messages.

I guess this was stupid and I wasn't thinking but I thought quitting and reopening might help. So I quit mail and it wouldn't let me quit (quit was grayed out), so I force quit. I reopened mail and that's when I realized something had been wrong since yesterday when I got that security message. I suddenly got 10 e-mails that apparently had been sent to me since yesterday.

I looked in my sent and drafts folders and the message I had sent is nowhere. The messages I had created since the security message yesterday are non-existent. And the messages I had edited since the security message have none of the additions I made to them.

I went to mobileme support this morning and I was upset at how clueless the person was. He told me he thought my operating system was corrupted. It was a painful exchange. I called AppleCare and they didn't know what to tell me either and it was awkward.

I have my MobileMe setting set to save all my mail on the server but is there a chance it could have saved a localized cached version of these message somewhere? I already looked under Library-->Mail, but it just reflects what's in my inbox.

Anyone know where localized caches are? Thank you.

2. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Been a day...so I'm guessing on answers on my question...but could anyone answer a more basic question: is Mail only able to save messages when it's properly connected; shouldn't it be able to save local messages no matter what? I have it selected to store my messages on the server because I thought that was the only way to see them at me.com, is that the case?