Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi Mail.app users,

Has anyone come across cases where the messages lose their contents? I've just setup mail.app today and am starting to use it. I received my mail fine. However, when I opened up Mail.app just now, I noticed that the emails I received this morning have a problem. The messages are still there in the Inbox, but the content is blank. The preview, the mail, the reply screen, all show blank content. The options to view the headers and the raw source are all greyed out.

Anyone know of this problem? Thank you for your assistance.

JC

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thank you Mad Jew for your reply. Unfortunately, when I rebuild my mail, those which were blanked disappeared altogether. I am not sure if I should trust Mail.app anymore. Perhaps I should just go with Thunderbird.

MKnight

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
I have the exact problem and I'm using IMAP. It appears that some messages do not get downloaded fully all the time, but they eventually show up...

I'm really not impressed so far as this doesn't happen with other clients with imap.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi Mad Jew, thank you for your reply. I do have multiple accounts. My set up is that I have two email addresses which forward to my ISP email. So my first account is my ISP POP for collecting all emails. This account is online. My other two accounts are just profiles, so that I can send emails using a different email address. These two accounts are offline. In summary, I only use one account to download files. The other two are unused. My provider does not provide spam filtering.

Mr Tune, I am using POP, so it should be nice and simple. It's not IMAP, so the problem is entirely on my Mac's side.

Well so far no repeat of the problem yet... so fingers crossed. I really do wanna use Mail.app and not Thunderbird since I want the whole Mac experience, especially the integration of Mail.app, iCal, Address Book, etc.

Thank you all for your help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Keep us updated. Just because it's POP3, doesn't mean it's necessarily the Mac's fault. Also, maybe set Thunderbird up with your account(s) but ensure it leaves all emails on the server. Next time Mail gives you a dodgy email, check what Thunderbird records.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.