Mail App Not Alerting Me Automatically When People Email Me

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dan50, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Dan50 macrumors regular

Where do I go in order for it to alert me whenever people email me? It won't let me know about any emails came in unless I open up the Mail app manually

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings, Mail, Fetch New Data, set it to Push.

Your mail client has to support push for it to work, obviously.

3. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

It was Settings, Mail, Fetch New Data, Push - fetch Manually . Which one do I choose?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Is Push toggled on at the top of the page?

If so, look below that at your specific mail accounts - next to them, does it say Fetch or Push? If it says Fetch, click it and select "Push." If push is not an option, then your mail client does not support push (Gmail is one of them).

5. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

It was Settings, Mail, fetch new data push, and had green enabled next to where it says push at the very top. Below it says Gmail-mail contacts,calendars,notes and that one says fetch. I'm confused. Because at very top where it says Push and it's enabled (green) what part do I choose push?

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

On top, is just a general setting to allow for push at all. However, you can enable that, but your actual mail client may not support push. In this case, your mail client is Gmail, which does not support push.

Sorry, you're going to have to manually check email.

7. Dan50 thread starter macrumors regular

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

It should still support fetch which can be set to check as often as every 15 minutes and alert based on that without only having to do it manually.