Mail app not functioning.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nachtxeule, May 22, 2009.

1. nachtxeule macrumors member

i'm not new to computers, i just woke up, booted my mac... next thing you know my mail app just isn't opening and i have to force quit to close it.

???

there's nothing else to say really, could i delete it and install it again? and how? or there's something else going on?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...try the simple things first - repair permissions on the drive (from Disk Utility in your Utilities folder)...see if that resolves it...oh yeah!

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can, if need be, reinstall the Mail application from the optional installs bundle on disc 1. Before going to such an extreme means of resolution (which may not even work if its not the application itself at fault) allow me to suggest some other possible solutions. 1) Is your Mac fully up-to-date? When you run Software Update does it find a Mail Update or a Mac OS X update? 2) Did you recently upgrade from Tiger to Leopard? or Panther to Leopard? migration from another computer? This may be the fix. Alternatively it appears the 10.5.7 update dodges that issue completely without having to pull plists. 3) Did you have any Mail.app plugins installed? Growlmail, etc? Look in ~/Library/Mail/Bundles for anything you remember installing, and if you find anything, pull the file(s) out to the Desktop, restart the computer, and try relaunching Mail.

4. nachtxeule thread starter macrumors member

i found my issue,

after deleting this menu bar addon
    http://www.loganrockmore.com/MailUnreadMenu/

my mail app doesn't work, so what should i do to delete that addon without damaging my mail app?

delete/reinstall doesn't work.

yes i have leopard and all updates, it's the damn addons fault ;[

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

First question in the FAQ section of that page you linked has steps for uninstalling the add-on. Looks like there's 4 components to the software, and he's got their exact locations listed.

6. nachtxeule thread starter macrumors member

helped fix the issue, thanks