Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Hey!

Overall I'm really pleased with BS and of course anything is perfect and there is always room to improve.

Anyhow, does anyone feel that Mail app is quite slow opening on BS? I'm on 11.2 and I feel that the process of opening mail takes like 10' or more. Perhaps I was spoiled, but I was use to almost an immediate opening of the app. Like 1' or perhaps 2'.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

PS/ after the opening everything works normally and snappy. Or at least I haven't notice anything.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
No… I have a MBP 2019. I really wonder what could be. I have one extension (GPG tools) that i disabled, and also disabled all the mail accounts just in case. And it's more or less the same.

This happened before, but usually deleting something from the config or just deleting and recreating the mail index the issue was fixed, but none of those things work now.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Pretty much is something related to the config, and it was happening before. When you delete /Users/[username]/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/, mail opens again really quickly. You lost some mail config.

I was on the past able to delete the involved file, but that one has change and not longer is there.

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Same thing here (not quite 10 seconds but 4–6), started happening on a 2020 27" iMac a few days ago. Doesn’t happen on an M1 Air. Big Sur 11.2.3.

Also similarly a little slow to quit. Definitely didn't do it before, it used to open and quit instantly.

I’ve tried trashing that container but it didn't help. I’ve also tried rebuilding the mailbox and turning the iCloud account off and back on. Also didn't help, and the behaviour persisted even without any accounts connected or any messages in the mailbox.

Is there a way to reset the app completely? I would have thought trashing the container would do it.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
That happened to me with Mojave (iMac Pro 2017) -- at the 6-8 second level. I tried the usual simple things, like a few reboots, but it didn't improve.

When I realized that it was actually going to come up, I tried to get used to it.

Eventually, as I was thinking about clean install, it went back to normal.

I'm feeling as though it's getting ready to do it again -- there's about a second pause now.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
I found another dir where mail is storing info /Users/lpuerto/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~mail/

I deleted the Data folder inside, but I got the same result. :(

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Well, I solved the issue, at least for now. I issue was related to the GPG Tools/Suite extension I have installed… the funny thing is the issue didn't even go away when I disabled the extension.

Mail started to open again fast when I just change in the settings of the app (on the System Preferences panel) the default key. And the issue is still fixed when I changed back to the original key. So something related to this settings was awry and was fixed when changing this. Pretty stupid, but it has sense in relation to how I was fixing it previously, that was deleting the settings on ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/ folder. I hope this helps others to fix the issue if it's similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: neuralengine

neuralengine

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2020
Well, I solved the issue, at least for now. I issue was related to the GPG Tools/Suite extension I have installed… the funny thing is the issue didn't even go away when I disabled the extension.

Mail started to open again fast when I just change in the settings of the app (on the System Preferences panel) the default key. And the issue is still fixed when I changed back to the original key. So something related to this settings was awry and was fixed when changing this. Pretty stupid, but it has sense in relation to how I was fixing it previously, that was deleting the settings on ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/ folder. I hope this helps others to fix the issue if it's similar.
Thank you!

I forgot I had a plug-in installed as well (though a different one, MailTrackerBlocker).

I disabled it and the issues went away. Actually, having reenabled it, they have not returned. Fingers crossed.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Pretty much is something related to the config, and it was happening before. When you delete /Users/[username]/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/, mail opens again really quickly. You lost some mail config.

I was on the past able to delete the involved file, but that one has change and not longer is there.
Having a huge problem with Mail being slow to launch on Big Sur (11.4), so I went searching and found this thread.

Thought this was great advice and seemed promising, so I went to try and do it, only to find that I don't even have a com.apple.mail folder in my home folder, oddly enough, so I'm at a loss.

I see (when sorted alphabetically):

- com.apple.LookupViewService
- com.apple.MailServiceAgent
- com.apple.mediaanalysisd

So frustrating.

Just posting here and adding my experience in case anyone else searches and runs across the same! Maybe if that hypothetical future person finds a fix before I do, they'll post it here so I can know!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Having a huge problem with Mail being slow to launch on Big Sur (11.4), so I went searching and found this thread.

Thought this was great advice and seemed promising, so I went to try and do it, only to find that I don't even have a com.apple.mail folder in my home folder, oddly enough, so I'm at a loss.

So frustrating.

Just posting here and adding my experience in case anyone else searches and runs across the same! Maybe if that hypothetical future person finds a fix before I do, they'll post it here so I can know!
I have the folder. I hope Apple is able to resolve what may be a bug for you gents.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.12.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.12.27 PM.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: Silverstring

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe

So frustrating.

Check if you can find the folder with terminal… with finder sometimes the folder is just named Mail.

riggles

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2013
This issue has been bugging me ever since I updated to Big Sur. Mail.app can take up to 2-3min to launch instead of a few seconds like it used to on my 2018 Mac Mini. So frustrating..

Only one extension: MailTrackerBlocker. Disabling and restarting the app did nothing.

EDIT: I should add, my Mini's fan always kicks after about 30s of Mail try to launch. Checked the running processes, and the `fseventsd` process was using up a bunch of CPU. That's the File System Events Daemon. When Mail finally launches, its CPU usage drops off.

Last edited:

lschlegel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2021
This issue has been bugging me ever since I updated to Big Sur. Mail.app can take up to 2-3min to launch instead of a few seconds like it used to on my 2018 Mac Mini. So frustrating..

Only one extension: MailTrackerBlocker. Disabling and restarting the app did nothing.

EDIT: I should add, my Mini's fan always kicks after about 30s of Mail try to launch. Checked the running processes, and the `fseventsd` process was using up a bunch of CPU. That's the File System Events Daemon. When Mail finally launches, its CPU usage drops off.

Killing (force quitting) the 'fseventsd' service manually via Activity Monitor stopped the long open time for Apple Mail for me. Apple Mail on my M1 MBA had started taking 1-2 minutes to open. It's been driving me crazy for weeks. I've tried all the previous tips, like deleting ~/Library/Mail/ (a.k.a. ~/Library/com.apple.mail/), removing preferences, and disabling extensions, but nothing worked until I saw this post about 'fseventsd' service.

Reactions: Kocab and riggles

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Killing (force quitting) the 'fseventsd' service manually via Activity Monitor stopped the long open time for Apple Mail for me. Apple Mail on my M1 MBA had started taking 1-2 minutes to open. It's been driving me crazy for weeks. I've tried all the previous tips, like deleting ~/Library/Mail/ (a.k.a. ~/Library/com.apple.mail/), removing preferences, and disabling extensions, but nothing worked until I saw this post about 'fseventsd' service.
did you delete de extensions or just disable them?? I'm not sure if the issue really has to do with the extensions themselves, but with their preferences that could be still there even if you disable them or perhaps if you delete them.

dannieboy97

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2022

I had been experiencing the same issue for months now after updating to BS on my 2015 MB pro. Killing the "fseventsd" process fixed the problem for me (so far).

Thank you so much!

Reactions: riggles

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
Sorry for opening an old thread but I've just found this one and it appears to be relevant to my issue. For the past few major macOS versions, Mail has been getting increasingly longer to start. It's currently taking around 40 seconds to start - sometimes with the beach ball cursor, sometimes without.

However, I appear to have found the culprit - the GPG Mail extension. I moved GPGMailLoader_6.mailbundle from /Library/Mail/Bundles to ~/Desktop and Mail now starts immediately. I've moved it back again and Mail is still starting immediately. I'll see how long this lasts for.

GPG Tools support say that they don't think it's anything to do with GPG Mail but my experience would appear to indicate otherwise.

Edit: Apologies - should have read the whole thread before posting. I see that the OP also narrowed it down to GPG Mail. If you are still around @lpuerto, is your Mail app still behaving OK with GPG Mail?

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
I created a script and I clean that from time to time.

I think you solution is similar to mine. I just delete the Properties.plist.

Perhaps we should tell those guys again that they problem is on their side.

Reactions: mzanker

Henri9009

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Montreal
That same problem has occurred suddenly a couple of weeks ago. It take around 5 seconds to open. I'm on Monterey for several months.

I tried (twice) to kill "fseventsd" but it freezes my computer, I have to restart manually.

Any other idea? I can live with that, but it's a pain in the neck.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.