Mail app on Mavericks not fetching new email as quick as before?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by atteligibility, Oct 11, 2013.

1. atteligibility macrumors regular

Since updating to mavericks, my phone vibrates a few minutes before mail notifies me of new emails.
    Sometimes, even seems that mail would not fetch automatically and I will have to manually check for new mail.

known issue?

2. kvnfo macrumors member

I'm having the same issue, even with setting it to fetch every minute. There are also times where no mail comes in unless I restart the whole mail app.

Glad to know I'm not the only one, i've tried every setting I could think of.

3. pinkoos macrumors regular

Same thing with me. I have two accounts set up: a work Exchange account and a Gmail IMAP account.

Neither one is getting emails "automatically" (like I have it set). Just like you, my phone will get the email/alert, but the Mac won't. Have to manually check for new mail to get it to show up.

However, the funny thing is that the notification (banner that slides in from the top right of the screen) works right away, but the email doesn't actually show up in Mail until I manually check.

4. seattle29 macrumors member

5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Interesting. Mail is one app that has always worked for me. All DP's and now the GM. I have an Exchange account, a gmail account and one yahoo account. Mail is set to fetch every minute and it does so without issues.

I only have my mail accounts set to handle "Mail". (No calendars, reminders, addresses, etc). For these things I use iCloud.

6. pinkoos macrumors regular

Mine is set to fetch "automatically."

Wonder if that is the difference in yours working and mine (and others) not?

7. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

i would like to ask about mavericks. Does push email for icloud works on mavericks? Because on ML i need to keep opened mail app for getting emails. Thanks

8. MeUnix macrumors 6502

If you're experiencing problems with your email account and Mail, try deleting your email account from Mail.app and then re-add it. Myself, along with other developers, experienced this same problem with the delay in receiving new emails. This technique fixed it for many of us.

Hope this helps,
    - Kyle

9. pinkoos macrumors regular

10. admmasters macrumors newbie

This has been a problem for me - specifically noticed it happening in ML and it is definitely slower to receive Exchange emails in Mavericks than it is in iOS Mail - I have raised a radar about this a while ago, but nothing new or updated since then. For what it is worth - I personally have had less problems with Mail and Exchange compared to ML.

Hopefully they continue to work on resolving this issue as it is a huge pain in the arse - as my workplace uses Exchange and I don't like using a browser window to manage work emails! :mad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blade Dash iOS - Get it now!

11. mattking macrumors newbie

Add one more to the situation. I tried iCloud and Outlook.com IMAP accounts and they're very slow. Also it seems (according to the activity window) that on every launch Mail.app is doing a full sync of every mailbox with the server, sometimes after even that e.g. when sending, receiving, moving a message etc.

Overall Mail.app is a disaster for me compared to an otherwise brilliant OS improvement across the board.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Some mail servers are finicky about mail being checked too often. It would be nice of there was a check every 2 minute option. Another thing that would be nice would be to have a main setting like it is now and being able ro override it on a per mail account basis.

13. benjackson77 macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing. Huge delays between when my phone buzzes with new mail and it actually shows up in Yosemite Mail. Was never like this before. Looking at the activity viewer it seems to be doing a LOT of stuff every time.