Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Here is my situation..

In Mail.app, I have 3 gmail accounts and 1 university account set up and working. In the last 2 days I have noticed that one of the gmail accounts is giving me an error message and asks me which outgoing server I want to use. This has happened in the past, I chose the correct outgoing server and everything worked great. Now, the correct outgoing server is not listed.. what can I do to fix this problem. Is there a .plist file that can be deleted?

Because I know someone will ask,..

yes I have the correct password and yes all accounts are receiving mail normally.

Any help is appreciated. Thx

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Because I know someone will ask,..

Then feel free to ignore me.... ;)

Are you using Google's SMTP on 587, or using the school / your ISP depending on location?

Typically, when you specify an alternate SMTP after a failure, the servers that failed get deleted from the list. So it might be that at some point, for whatever reason, the alternate server failed somewhere too, and when you did this again, it got pulled from the selection box.

But usually, the solution for this is just to restart Mail (which should put all the configured SMTPs back into the selection box). You've done that, right? Is the SMTP still listed under the server settings button in prefs -> accounts?

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Then feel free to ignore me.... ;)

Are you using Google's SMTP on 587, or using the school / your ISP depending on location?

Typically, when you specify an alternate SMTP after a failure, the servers that failed get deleted from the list. So it might be that at some point, for whatever reason, the alternate server failed somewhere too, and when you did this again, it got pulled from the selection box.

...You've done that, right? Is the SMTP still listed under the server settings button in prefs -> accounts?

Im using gmail out going smtp server for everything, my school email addresses are set up as outgoing email addresses in gmail. I think you might be correct about that, I think I figured it out, It seems that mail decided to change the server port for me.. seems to be working now. Maybe it changed the address after a failed attempt.

Weird

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.