Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Is you are using the Mail app to get your mail for a google apps account is it push or fetch?

I've got data set to fetch in accounts but when look at my account (a google apps acct), there is only the option to fetch or manual. Does iOS mail not push from Google apps?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I've got data set to fetch in accounts but when look at my account (a google apps acct), there is only the option to fetch or manual. Does iOS mail not push from Google apps?

I believe Google offers both POP2 and IMAP for Gmail, and it needs to be IMAP for push to work. If you've got it set to be an IMAP server, I do believe it'll automatically do push on macOS. Mine seems to be anyway

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
I think Gmail is still only fetch or manual, which is one of the reasons I use a 3rd party email app (Airmail at the moment).

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
I think Gmail is still only fetch or manual, which is one of the reasons I use a 3rd party email app (Airmail at the moment).

So you're saying if you use Airmail or something like that, Spark, etc, it can push but the native iOS mail app won't?

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
So you're saying if you use Airmail or something like that, Spark, etc, it can push but the native iOS mail app won't?
Yes that is correct. I believe Gmail discontinued push support a few years ago. The way I understand it is that 3rd party apps provide push notifications through their own servers which connect to Gmail. Whatever the reason, if I use the native app it can only fetch every few minutes, if I use a 3rd party app I get instant push notifications. I've tried Spark, Email by Easilydo, Outlook and a few others and they all work well with Gmail. I've settled on Airmail for the time being as it is the most customizable and has a good watch app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.