Mail App Question (Backing up Mailboxes)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Teece, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Teece macrumors newbie

Hello,

I’m trying to find a solution to an issue I’m having with backing up individual mailboxes in the Apple Mail app. I have several mailboxes setup for storage and backup purposes. For example, I have one for “Server Messages” so all messages I get from servers go into this mailbox folder. Here is my problem, I would like to back up some of these mailboxes individually and then reload them if needed. So far the testing I’ve done hasn’t worked. What I’ve tried to do, we will use “Server Messages” for this example, is overwrite the Server Messages.mbox found in “User Name”/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Server Messages.mbox with a backed up version. I can overwrite this file with a backed up version, however once I open the Mail app the Server Messages mailbox does not populate with the backed up version, it seems to keep the settings from the overwritten mailbox. Is there something else I need to delete to get this to work correctly? Or is there another procedure I should follow? Also, I’ve tried to load an archived mailbox file, but it creates an import folder which is not what I want at all, I just want the original folder updated with the backed up messages. Can this be done?

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

It sounds to me like you are trying to over complicate your life. Get a free gmail account, configure it for IMAP in Mail.app and then relax :cool:

3. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Smart Mailboxes and Time Machine. Gmail can be your best friend too.

4. Teece thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I can’t use gmail, this is a company email account that I have to use and I’ve been told by my boss to find another way other than Time Machine. Is what I’m trying to do even possible, it seems to almost work. Can someone suggest a better solution that doesn’t include a different email account and Time Machine?

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Gmail can check your company email, basically mirroring your email. Under settings > accounts, just fill in what you need to check your company email with pop3.