Mail app & redirecting mails - please HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Mar 8, 2011.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

So Google forced me to join my YouTube account with Gmail and I thought I would be able to change this e-mail account to another one later on. Boy, was I wrong.

While it's quite frustrating to be receiving YouTube related mails to the unwanted mailbox, I would like to ask how to make my Mail app automatically redirect any YouTube mails to another mailbox?

I tried to play around with the Rules thing, but couldn't get it to work properly.

Basically, what I'd like to do is: as soon as a YouTube related mail arrives into my mailbox, I would want it to appear in another account instead. So it would actually be preventing it from even getting into my first mailbox, but make it go straight to the 2nd mailbox.

How to do that?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd have to set up a rule that forwards the Youtube e-mail to your second mail address and also moves the copy of that message into your first mailbox's Trash.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

How would I go about setting up that rule?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go through the Rule options so there's a logical process. Something like

If
    subject contains [Youtube]
    and recipient is [address 2]

Perform the following actions:
    forward message to [address 1]
    Move message to Trash.

5. jahala macrumors regular

jahala

If you have linked your YouTube account to your gmail account, the best thing to do is to set up the rule on the gmail website. You can do exactly what you want there and it will happen whether or not your Mac is running.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You could just have your Gmail/YouTube account forward the email.

Login to Gmail webmail. Go to Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP

Then you could delete the Gmail account from your Mac Mail preferences.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm, ok so I created a filter in my Gmail and it will forward any YouTube e-mails to my other mailbox, but the e-mail from YouTube will remain in my first mailbox as well.

How to make it disappear from the first mailbox once it has forwarded it to the 2nd mailbox (or better yet - prevent it from even showing up in the first mailbox)?