Mail.app refuses to send or recieve

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RedTomato, May 9, 2007.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

We have 2 ibooks here, both identically configured, both 1.33ghz, running 10.4.9, on our wifi network, using the same mail server.

Every now and then, mail.app on ibook A refuses to send or receive mail, while mail.app on the other ibook works fine. Internet access still works on both of them.

If I connect ibook A to my neighbour's wi-fi, mail.app works flawlessly, sending and receiving without any problems.

This makes me wonder if the problem is in our wifi modem router. It's got NAT on, and WPA encryption. I still can't figure out what the problem is.

Any help?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

does it work on your home network at all?

try get a new router

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

First off, I doubt that the problem is your router seeing as iBook B had no issues on the same network (right? Did I read that correctly?).

Second, I know this isn't a solution, and I know it's not great, but it might help if/when the hiccups start up.

Try going into Mail> Preferences> Accounts> select the account on the left> at the bottom, check your "Server Settings..."

I've found that Server Port 587 gives me the least problems and have also found that sometimes mail.app freaks out for no good reason. I'll quit and relaunch and have hiccups go away, or I'll just manually reset that exact same server setting and have the hiccups go away. Something else I do to help see what might be causing trouble is to go to: Window> Connection Doctor.

Hope some of this can be of help. :eek:

4. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

To the first reply, yes it works sometimes, sometimes not. (recently more often it isn't working)

To the second reply, thanks for the 587 tip. I've just tried that and also quitting and relaunching. No joy. (when connecting to neighbour's wifi, port 587 worked fine.)

And yes, ibook B works fine.

ibook A and ibook B have different email acounts, with different email passwords but both get and receive from the same email server.

5. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I had issues a while ago. . .

My Mail wasn't sending and it turned out that my provider for my email account (BT) requires authentication. I rang apple and thy told me this and it now works perfectly. just an idea to check out. :D

6. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Do you now, or have ever installed, PeerGuardian on the one having trouble?

7. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Never installed or used PeerGuardian. Neither of them use any p2p app.

Authentication via password is on on both laptops. Really, the puzzle is why mail on laptop B sometimes works for several days, then doesn't work for several days.