Mail app rejecting password!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rossgumbrell, May 1, 2007.

1. rossgumbrell macrumors regular

Ive set my mums computer up so her gmail account works in Mail. Recently however, its keep saying that the password is rejected and to re-enter it.

Obviously i did, with no luck. I changed the password in gmail then re-entered that into Mail, no luck. I wiped the account off Mail then re-entered the pop and smtp settings with the new password, no luck.

We can login to the email account through Safari fine, but just isnt accepting it in Mail. Oh, we also made sure all the pop settings were right on the gmail account.

Any ideas guys? I mean, i work in an Apple Premium Reseller, and so im using (and selling) Macs everyday, but this one is going straight over my head!

2. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've had this before with a Yahoo account that I had Mail.app configured to get mail from. It seemed to just be a temporary problem with the server being down or something.

For some reason Mail doesn't tell you that though and asks you for the password again making you think it's a different problem.

3. rossgumbrell thread starter macrumors regular

it occured to me that might have been the problem, but i dont understand how my gmail account is still working fine on my Mac...?

4. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

The password problem is happening on your Mom's machine, not anything with gmail. Mine does the same thing every once in a while. It is annoying, quitting and restarting the mail application usually cures it.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I get the same thing every once in a while with Yahoo, it is only with Yahoo, my Gmail, .Mac, and other email accounts sync just fine...weird problem. I also have multiple Yahoo accounts and the other day only one was affected, just take it offline for a few hours and wait for them to fix the problem and then bring it back online.