Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
It's my 1 week Macbook anniversary - we're very happy together :)

However - the only real issue I'm having is with mail. When I add an attachment ( pdf, mov, gif, jpg ) it actually appears in the email itself. I'm used to outlook when you just get a list of attached files which makes a lot more sense to me. I don't want to have to write my way around an attached jpg (especially when it's large). Also - I get this..

"I can tell you sent this from your Mac. For some bizarre
reason, when emails come from a Mac to a PC, any text that is written after
an included file attachment appears not in the email but in another
attachment called "ATT00072.txt"

Any pointers on that one - I've had a look thru help and preferences, no luck yet.

The second is in quoting and replying..

"Oh, by the way, on this email as well all of the text that followed your
insertion of the image (which was simply all the quoted text from previous
emails) wound up in an attachment helpfully titled "ATT000931.txt." There
may be nothing you can do about this, it may be a stupid unavoidable
Mac-to-PC thing."

Any ideas?

Doug

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

However - the only real issue I'm having is with mail. When I add an attachment ( pdf, mov, gif, jpg ) it actually appears in the email itself. I'm used to outlook when you just get a list of attached files which makes a lot more sense to me. I don't want to have to write my way around an attached jpg (especially when it's large).
By default, Mail displays inline all QuickTime-compatible content. This is not a problem unless you have someone looking over your shoulder when you open a message containing confidential images.
Also - I get this..

"I can tell you sent this from your Mac. For some bizarre
reason, when emails come from a Mac to a PC, any text that is written after
an included file attachment appears not in the email but in another
attachment called "ATT00072.txt"

Any pointers on that one - I've had a look thru help and preferences, no luck yet.

The second is in quoting and replying..

"Oh, by the way, on this email as well all of the text that followed your
insertion of the image (which was simply all the quoted text from previous
emails) wound up in an attachment helpfully titled "ATT000931.txt." There
may be nothing you can do about this, it may be a stupid unavoidable
Mac-to-PC thing."

These "text files" are not exclusive or Mail or even MacOS X. They are nothing to worry about. Macs receive messages from users of other operating systems without a problem. Select the Edit > Attachments > Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments menu item and you will be golden.

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Just trust that the receiver will get it as an attachment

However - the only real issue I'm having is with mail. When I add an attachment ( pdf, mov, gif, jpg ) it actually appears in the email itself.

Doug

I have to agree with your first reply: Mail.app likes to show some file formats (like pictures) inline. I just hit return a few times to move the picture down and I know my Windows OS using friends will get the attachment (and see it inline only if their email program of choice behaves like Mail.app). ALSO, if you don't have too many images attached, you can right click (or hold control and click) on the images and select "View as Icon".

Another thing you can do to be on the safe side, is send the email as plain text: either in the Format menu (when creating a new message), pick "Make Plain Text" (if says "Make Rich Text", then don't bother selecting; i.e. you are already plain text), or you can go to the Preferences under the Mail menu and then to Composing.

Also, you can use the File menu (when creating a new message) and pick "Attach File..." and then note the "Send Windows-Friendly Attachments" checkbox (i.e. attach as file, not just inline/where you type); or, just use the paperclip icon in the new email (as opposed to the click-and-drag method, where you drop a picture icon into the email).

Finally, you can also run Terminal.app (in Utilities folder in Applications), and type "defaults write com.apple.mail SendWindowsFriendlyAttachments Yes" (minus quotes) and return, to make the checkbox above the default (which I believe it is on a fresh install of Mac OS), but this would be more so that you can drag-and-drop. AND, sorry, not sure how to make "View as Icon" the default (or dare I suggest shareware?: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/mailattachmentsiconizer.html)

Stormz

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
When I add an attachment ( pdf, mov, gif, jpg ) it actually appears in the email itself. I'm used to outlook when you just get a list of attached files which makes a lot more sense to me.
Hi Doug

This became a problem for me only last week! Until then, I'd been putting up with it. Inline images are not so bad for home use, but when you're a business emailing files, it's just not practical.

Anyway, until Apple addresses this "requirement" of ours, here's the third-party solution...
http://lokiware.info/Mail-Attachments-Iconizer

rfeilers

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
mac mail attachments

try redirect for messages you want to forward and see it that works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.