Mail.app rule to send from different server according to "To:" header?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RMo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Greetings,

I have multiple e-mail accounts forwarded to one account (my limited-space University e-mail account gets forwarded to one of my Gmail accounts, for instance). What I would like is if, when replying to a message sent to one of these accounts, Mail would automatically select a certain server to use to send the mail according to which account the mail was originally sent to. It's easy to figure out which account the e-mail was originally sent to, but I don't think I can create a rule that does anything useful (there is no action to, for example, "Change outgoing server when replying to <blah>").

Right now I have to manually select my University's SMTP server when I am sending a message want it to be sent from this address. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to create a rule that does this automatically or if there's an add-on, tip, or something else that could help.

Thanks!

2. RMo thread starter macrumors 65816

RMo

I guess not. :D I know this is an odd thing to want, and it does (of course) work fine when I change the outgoing server myself--I just don't want to accidentally forget to do so some time and have the recipient not recognize my reply.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them; otherwise, I'll stick to what I have to do now.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Sorry no one could help you :( .I spent a few minutes messing with mail rules and I can't come up with a solution either. It seems that you will just have to manually change the outgoing server for each email. You could just have all the e-mail accounts set up separate instead of getting them all forwarded to your gmail. This might make it more complicated to sort out the multiple inboxes but it would make sure you are replying with the right server.

One thing I'd like to add is I love how mail has the ability to create rules that integrate with the OS. I use mail rules so I can remotely lock, shutdown, restart, or sleep my computer by just sending my email a text message from my phone. The ability to run applescripts based on email content is great. I have tried other email clients like thunderbird, but the power of mail rules brought me back to it.

Hopefully someone else is able to see this when it gets bumped and maybe offer some solutions, sorry I couldn't help more.

4. RMo thread starter macrumors 65816

RMo

Thanks for your help--I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obvious rule in Mail or anything.

I actually have four inboxes right now, so keeping the accounts separate is certainly an option (it's what I'm doing with this account right now, in addition to the same for a couple other mailboxes--I just simplified my story so as not to bore anyone with further details :)). Two of them are personal Gmail accounts and the other is my mailbox from college, which uses Google apps and so is basically Gmail = way more storage than I'll use. However, I now have a mailbox for grad school as well, and this mailbox limits me to about 150 MB. To avoid worrying about space, I was thinking the best thing for me to do would be forward it to my college or personal Gmail accounts; in Mail, this is where the problem would arise of selecting the correct outgoing server.

Another option, I suppose, is to open yet another Gmail account, forward all of my grad school mail to this one, and add it as a separate account in Mail--almost the same thing I'm doing now but with a different account.

Thanks again!