Mail.app - Sent Messages Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Haigh, May 24, 2010.

1. James Haigh macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm a web developer who's set up an IMAP mailbox on a client's Mac. Now, I'm a PC guy, so I had to somewhat improvise when I set it up. When I left his house, it was all fully functional.

Got a call today saying his Sent items aren't going into his Sent folder. I did some research and found this, talked him through it, but he's saying it's not working.

He says that on the left hand side there are two Sent folders, one "below his Inbox" and one alongside a Trash, Junk and Drafts folder.

I went into Squirrel Mail to investigate. There are the Trash, Junk, Drafts and Sent folders like he said, but also a "Sent Messages" and "Deleted Messages" folder, and it seems his sent items are going into the "Sent Messages" folder.

How can I get his Mac to sync with the "Sent Messages" folder?

Excuse my incompetance if I'm doing something very wrong; I'm not familiar with this at all!

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your client is using something other than Gmail, just substitute whatever provider you have:

After completing the IMAP setup steps for Apple Mail, instructing Mail is a few simple clicks away. Once your Gmail IMAP account is added to Mail, you’ll notice your [Gmail account] in the left sidebar.

Highlight ‘[Gmail] Sent Mail’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Sent’.
    Highlight ‘[Gmail] Drafts’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Drafts’
    Highlight ‘[Gmail] Trash’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Trash’
    Highlight ‘[Gmail] Spam’ in the sidebar and select ‘Mailbox’ (menu bar) > ‘Use This Mailbox For’ > ‘Junk’

Once properly configured, managing email from Apple Mail or the iPhone will be no different from managing emails within the Gmail web client – sent, drafts, trash, and junk properly sorted between your various email clients and web interface.