Mail.app - showing sent messages as unread on mail badge

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nicolanicola, Mar 3, 2009.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

This problem is driving me MAD!

I use an IMAP email account (provided by AOL) and every time I send an email it then comes in to my AOL sent items folder and displays an unread count on mail.app. It's infuriating.

I think imap stores the sent mail on it's server and I think I'm subscribed to all these folders so when it receives my sent mail, it sends a copy back to me.

Can anyone help?

I have tried creating a rule that mark all messages from me as read, but to no avail, it still does it anyway.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I bet it's not putting the sent messages into the proper folder (or at least Apple and AOL are disagreeing on where to put them). In Mail, look on the left hand sidebar for your AOL account (not the Inbox, it'll be lower down). Click the triangle next to it to expand the file listing, then find something that says Sent Message, Outbox, or something similar, and select that. Then go up to the Mailbox menu at the top of the screen, and choose Use This Mailbox For > Sent. That should correct the problem. Let me know if that works!

jW

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Mail->Preferences->General->Dock Unread count: Inbox Only

4. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That has changed the mailbox putting my sent items from that AOl mailbox to my sentbox on my mac however the dock unread count is still there.

5. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Ooh I forgot about that option, only problem is I have loads of folders because I organise my mail so I have very few items going into my inbox anyway so I do need to see total unread mail count. I need to stop sent messages thinking the mail is unread though.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How about writing a rule:

If From is <your email address> then Mark as Read.

7. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Tried that, it doesn't do it for some reason. If I click apply rules once the message has come in then it does it, but it doesn't do it automatically

8. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member