Mail app slow?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by LNYMRKO, Oct 27, 2014.

1. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

Is anyone else seeing the Mail app in iOS8 extremely slow? A few examples I've noticed..

- Pull down to update, taking around 60 seconds to load, both on WiFi and 4G
    - Sending emails, taking around 30 seconds to hear the sound to confirm it's been sent, both on WiFi and 4G
    - When opening/reading emails, it doesn't always save the mark as read status (I believe it to be a slow sync thing also).. for example I'll go in and read an email, then exit/close the app, only to find it still has the red notification about an unread email.. when I go into it it's the same email I just read/deleted/replied to etc.

For comparison, Safari/Gmail, even YouTube speeds both on WiFi and 4G all appear to be fast and running fine.. just seems to be the Mail app being problematic. I've even tried it with different accounts to make sure.. POP/IMAP and Hotmail etc, all appear to do the same thing.

Anyone seeing similar issues, or know whats going on?

2. Nanookfan macrumors member

I have been having some of the same issues with Mail.
    Slow syncing, deleted emails re-appearing, read emails being marked again as unread, etc. I've noticed that the spinning wheel up top keeps going and going and that if I don't wait for it to stop then these items happen. If I wait for it to stop, presumably waiting for the sync to be done, then all works normally.

Have you tried restoring as a new phone and ipad if you didn't do that to get to 8 in the first place? I haven't had time to try it yet so I'm curious.

3. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

I have noticed that pull down to update and spinning wheel just keeps on going and going. Much slower than iOS7. And pretty much the whole OS is slower.

4. LNYMRKO thread starter macrumors regular

I hadn't restored or anything like that, I setup my iPhone 6 as a new device and synced my apps/music etc to it from iTunes rather than restoring a backup from my 5S. I did OTA updates for 8.0.2 and 8.1 but as far as I can recall it was doing the same thing on 8.0

----------

The rest of the OS and other apps seem quick and fine to me, both in loading speeds and network speeds for the record, it seems to be just the Mail app loading slow.

5. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Wellcome to ios 8

6. LNYMRKO thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the great input FatPuppy, but as stated.. the rest of my iOS8 is fine.. this is limited to only the Mail app I'm seeing slow speeds.