Mail.app stops receiving mail from Exchange server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jgeinosky, Apr 12, 2010.

1. jgeinosky macrumors newbie

I am running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and periodically Mail.App will stop updating my new emails. I am connected to an Exchange 2007 system. When it is not able to update, clicking the "Get Mail" button will not do anything but I am still able to send mail.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be helpful.

Thank you,
    Jared Geinosky
    URL Pharma

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

How fast is your internet connection? I ask this because normally slow connections will take a long time before it will update Mail on the incoming side but outgoing mail will go out fine it just takes a few seconds / minutes.

Next if you're used to using Exchange I would get Microsoft Office for Mac and use their Exchange Outlook app that comes with it, this will give you all of the features you're used to and will work perfect with an exchange server.

If you want to stick with the Mail App than I would suggest doing this first: Delete your exchange account in Mail and then recreate an account. Basically you are removing an account that wasn't being read properly and normally a remove / restore can fix that. If not I would go on the internet and find out what your incoming / outgoing ports are and if their are any alternative ports you can use, and try those. The ports you might be using maybe faulty or overloaded.

Hope this helps.

3. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

You know, I had a very interesting problem just like yours and I had a good chuckle when I finally figured out what had happened.

My iPhone was "pushing" for data too frequently, and it ticked off the MS Exchange servers, who then stopped updating the Mail.app on my computer. "Bandwidth exceeded" was the error message I would get... After I switched my iPhone settings to "fetch" instead of push, the Exchange server relented and starting beaming down my messages again. Apple vs. Microsoft... will they EVER get along... :rolleyes:

4. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Nope they sure wont. It sucks to because it effects all of us when they compete. I mean don't get me wrong I know we all want Apple to win, which right now they obviously are, but for us business folk's that want to receive are e-mail and other things they make it kind of annoying at times.