Mail.app - timeout on port 0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by babbler, Sep 6, 2007.

1. babbler macrumors member

I have a new powerbook in which mail fails to connect to a POP server with the message "timed out on port 0". The ports in the setup are 25/110. I can connect to the server with telnet and Eudora.

Google suggests this is a known issue, but I could not find an explanation or a fix.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

2. Gee macrumors 65816

What pop server are you trying to connect to?

3. babbler thread starter macrumors member

Its a pop3 server run by an institute. I believe its a windows box. Connection is from behind a firewall and though a proxy. But fiddling with the proxy setting has made no difference and an older mac with (as far as I can see) identical settings connects ok, as does Eudora and telnet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Well I'm no expert at all, but I thought that adding some posts might attract someone else who is. So, in the meantime:

You say 'new powerbook' - is it a new macbook pro or a not-so new powerbook?

What kind of mac is the other one that works?

Have you tried accessing any other mail accounts on the powerbook (POP or otherwise)?

How long has the problem been going on?

5. babbler thread starter macrumors member

It's a brand new shiny macbookpro fully patched. It has never successfully connected to any mail server. I have not tried other mail servers. At least two other older macs work with exactly the same settings, both are powerbooks.

6. Gee macrumors 65816

Another stopgap, but try setting up a different mail account to see if that one works - pop and imap if you have one. You can get a .mac 3 month free trial as well. We can then at least work out which bit it's truggling with