Mail app using extremely high cellular data

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by splitthebiscuit, Sep 29, 2014.

  1. splitthebiscuit macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #1
    It started on Friday 9/26. I hadn't updated to 8.0.2 yet but I was getting messages from my provided telling me that my data was nearing it's limit. First at 65%, then to 90% within the next hour. I reset my cellular usage statistic and quickly found out that it's the Mail app. It's using ~10MB per minute. No explanation. I'm not sure if it's a bug with the app itself, or a bug with the mail protocol between Google and the iPhone. This entire experience has been extremely frustrating.

    Has anybody else been experiencing this, or anything similar?
     
  2. fins831 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    #2
    Ive noticed the same thing...thats why I stopped using it and went back to using Gmail app for push and battery for the time being.
     
  3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #3
    Wild guess that it is updating your "saved" email messages and is busy downloading from the server. Get to wifi, get everything "re-downloaded" to your phone and try again.

    Or change your mail settings to now have so many messages available on the phone.
     
  4. splitthebiscuit thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2008
    #4
    I've been on and off WiFi for 3 days, I'm thinking it's something else. I have two accounts, both set up the same way using IMAP, and for some reason only one was fetching mail properly. I removed the accounts and tried to add them again, which didn't fix the problem. Really hard to identify where the problem lies, but either way, it seems the 1 account was steadily devouring my data when not on WiFi.
     

Share This Page