Mail.app very slow to complete addresses

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by xristy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. xristy macrumors member

xristy

After upgrading my 2011 MBP to 10.7, I find that the Mail.app is now very slow - 10's of seconds - to provide completion suggestions when adding addressees in "To", "Cc" and so on. AddressBook app searches are very speedy as they used to be in 10.6. The Mail.app was very speedy also in 10.6 in providing completions.

I have tried completely re-indexing Spotlight via the routine of dragging the "Macintosh HD" to be not indexed and then later deleting it and seeing that Spotlight indeed re-indexed after some hours.

"Contacts" is checked in the Spotlight preferences and the expected contacts do show up in Spotlight searches.

It's really strange that it is just the completions in Mail.app that are slow?!
    I really would like any ideas about why it's happening and of course how to fix / work-around the issue.

Thanks

2. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Same issue here. Hopefully someone will come along with a solution soon.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Try this:

Quit the Mail app and go to this directory:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/

Delete these files:

Envelope Index
    Envelope Index-shm
    Envelope Index-wal

Restart the Mail app. Don't freak out when you get the "Mail Message Import" dialog. Just hit "Continue".

Does address completion work fast now?

S-

4. xristy thread starter macrumors member

xristy

after re-importing 73,651 messages

there is some apparent improvement. At first it seemed like there was not any improvement and so I started timing various cases such as 2, 3 or 4 initial characters of first and last names and they initially took 10 - 15 seconds for any completions (matches for which there were only 1 or 2 completions seemed to take longer than for 5 or 10 completions?).

As I went back and timed previous cases they seemed to become faster. Even after restarting Mail the times are now around 2 - 3 seconds.

This is better but still no where near live search performance like it used to be. In 10.6.7/8 completions appear as I type - essentially instantaneously.

Having to pause for seconds while completions are offered is amazingly annoying - I'm normally quite patient but I have become so accustomed to the live search performance of 10.6 that this is like working with a crippled tool.

I have 515 contacts in AddressBook and 213 mailboxes across which the 73,651 messages are filed.

5. deftimes2 macrumors newbie

I am experiencing extremely slow loading times. When I launch the mail app it seems like it takes forever for anything to load. All my messages are blank. It's as if it's trying to load every message from scratch rather than just loading from the cache (If there is a cache in the mail app) Definitely 50% to 60% slower across the board.

However, I can't help but feel a little bit silly complaining about it taking 10 to 15 seconds vs. 2 to 3 seconds, realizing that there are some indigenous people who have never even seen a computer. They don't own watches, they live by the sun and sleep by the moon. They walk everywhere, they kill and eat only the food that they need for each day, they live a simple life. I'm learning that when things slow down and annoy the crap out of me that maybe I need to slow down as well. Sometimes I wish that everything would slow down instead of spinning rapidly out of control. Anyway I hope that we can hurry up and slow down until they fix this issue.

Peace.