Mail.app - why use it over Gmail's web interface?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ahheck01, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

This is by no means a "new" topic, as both the Gmail interface and Mail.app have been around forever, each increasing in simplicity of use and features since their inception.

I have a blackberry, but also use the gmail web interface. I've been noticing many productivity freaks stating that they use Mail.app, and I don't understand why? The way gmail handles conversations is much neater and tidier, and the instant search is fantastic.

The only thing I can see is the use of folders, which Gmail can nearly do with tags.

So what am I missing? Can Mail.app increase my productivity and efficiency? Or would I just be downloading extra junk to my hard drive to be viewed and managed in a less efficient way?

Thanks!

-Evan

2. cmaier macrumors G3

About the only reason I use mail.app instead of the web interface is that it's easier to deal with attachments. Drag and drop, etc.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have multiple email addresses together in one place in Mail

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Cos it's there, simple to use, and doesn't require me to dial up to the internet to see my mail and pre-write some.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That is a good reason for me too since I can choose which mail service I want to use to send the email--all the contacts are right there.

6. cmaier macrumors G3

google's web-based search is more useful than spotlight

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I like the way google deals with attachments better.

Yeah, that's why I use it too, but I prefer Thunderbird over Mail.

Google search can't be beaten and you can't compare spotlight to it at all. Spotlight can't even call itself a search over google's search, IMHO, of course.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The problem is when I have a document or email from someone Spotlight finds both, Google search will only find the email.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

THAT is very true. :)

10. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

+1... or should I say +4 because mail.app manages 4 gmail accounts. :D

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I use mail because I use both my personal account and school account in one unified interface without having to log in constantly when I want to check my mail.

12. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer

I find mail simpler to use and manage with multiple email address'

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

It does make it much easier, but I have also accidentally sent something from the wrong address, on more than one occasion.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You do have to pay attention 007

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. ethical macrumors 68000

2 gmail accounts, university email account and hotmail all in one place with Mail app.

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Oh, ok! Silly me, why don't you people TELL me these things?

17. danny_w macrumors 601

If I were using gmail as my primary or only account I would most definitely use the gmail interface, primarily because mail.app (and all other desktop apps that I know of) does not handle the gmail tags very well IMHO. Although similar to IMAP folders they are not the same, and gmail handles them well. For example, Archive and Delete are 2 separate operations in gmail, but mail.app only had one (delete) but it is mapped to gmails' archive. When I delete an email I want it gone, I don't want it to remain forever in All Mail (but I would like that option). I got so frustrated with mail.app and its inability to deal with this gmail "feature" that I finally gave up and went with MobileMe and had my gmail account forwarded.

18. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Well what I like to do is just close the mail window, and leave the app running, it uses almost no resources and still receives mail so it shows the notification badge which I like. Its also easier to manage attachments, you can drag pictures in and out of finder or your desktop into the message which is nice. Spotlight also searches within mail, which I know some people like although I personally dont use it. Whatever works for you.

19. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I almost always use Mail.app, since I have a Gmail IMAP account set up anyway. I have a few reasons why.

1. I find the interface much more clean and elegant, while the Gmail web interface is somewhat cluttered.
    2. I can still move and label messages, except I can do so in a more user-friendly fashion.
    3. I can set up multiple accounts and browse them at the same time. No logging in and out of Gmail; every message is at my fingertips.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Gmail's web interface doesn't come close. With Mail:
    • I check 6 email accounts simultaneously
    • Can search all accounts, if I don't recall to which account an email was sent
    • Can read and compose emails when offline
    • Have a backup of all my emails, in case Gmail is down or any account has problems

21. splitpea macrumors 6502a

This.

Plus better attachment handling; having all email available to read/search offline and just generally for backup purposes; multiple signatures; more headers to show and ways to sort; prefer the GUI.