Mail app won't pull mail from hotmail

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
I have the accounts set up, no error message or anything. When i hit check all mail, it pulls the emails from gmail, and checks hotmail, but wont pull any new emails on the hotmail accounts. Any suggestions on what to do?

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
Yeah, I mostly use gmail. Guess its time to just leave hotmail behind.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Hotmail has never allowed push email or anything like that on 3rd party clients unfortunately.

I ditched it when I got my iPhone 3GS all those years ago, as it showed thousands of emails being unread and refused to sync.

Gmail ftw.

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I have the accounts set up, no error message or anything. When i hit check all mail, it pulls the emails from gmail, and checks hotmail, but wont pull any new emails on the hotmail accounts. Any suggestions on what to do?
It works fine on my iPhone and iPad but has never worked properly on my mac mail. Crazy?!?!

Crisis

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
For Hotmail, You can use Microsoft Active Exchange protocol (which is kinda like IMAP+Pushmail) on mobile devices. However, you can only uses POP3 in mail clients on computers.

For Gmail, you can use IMAP on any device and Microsoft Active Exchange only on mobile device.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
For Hotmail, You can use Microsoft Active Exchange protocol (which is kinda like IMAP+Pushmail) on mobile devices. However, you can only uses POP3 in mail clients on computers.

For Gmail, you can use IMAP on any device and Microsoft Active Exchange only on mobile device.
Yeah i had hotmail set up as a pop3, it still wouldn't pull the mail.

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
similar problem, however mail tells me that the server is no longer responding

I used to be able to get my mail just fine using pop3 with smtp.live.com

but since recently it just says that mail can't connect to the server

now i did notice, that hotmail made some changes to ...well... hotmail..

(how i noticed) i had my mail open in firefox on windows (work comp) and when refreshing the page, it said that hotmail had been changed and that i needed to relaunch my browser

it's ince then that my hotmail no longer works.. anyone have any idea what's going on?

Greetz Apple-Guy

Apple-Guy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
Belgium
The pop3 server is pop3.live.com, not smtp.live.com, which is the outgoing mail SMTP server.
sry if i confused you, but that's what i meant, pop3 for incoming with smtp for outgoing ^^

but yeah still doesn't work, contacted microsoft, though doubt they will help...

Greetz Apple-Guy

dermo

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2008
Ireland
Was able to pull mails from Hotmail for last 4 years, until I foolishly started trying to set up Outlook. Can see mails on Hotmail website, dispensed with the Outlook mail box, but still nothing.
Any ideas anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.