Mail app won't pull mail from hotmail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dragoro, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I have the accounts set up, no error message or anything. When i hit check all mail, it pulls the emails from gmail, and checks hotmail, but wont pull any new emails on the hotmail accounts. Any suggestions on what to do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think hotmail lets third-party mail clients access the inbox. Best to ditch it anyway - hotmail is definitely on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to e-mail accounts.

3. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Yeah, I mostly use gmail. Guess its time to just leave hotmail behind.

4. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Hotmail has never allowed push email or anything like that on 3rd party clients unfortunately.

I ditched it when I got my iPhone 3GS all those years ago, as it showed thousands of emails being unread and refused to sync.

Gmail ftw.

5. Macgeeza macrumors regular

It works fine on my iPhone and iPad but has never worked properly on my mac mail. Crazy?!?!

6. Crisis macrumors member

For Hotmail, You can use Microsoft Active Exchange protocol (which is kinda like IMAP+Pushmail) on mobile devices. However, you can only uses POP3 in mail clients on computers.

For Gmail, you can use IMAP on any device and Microsoft Active Exchange only on mobile device.

7. Dragoro thread starter macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Yeah i had hotmail set up as a pop3, it still wouldn't pull the mail.

8. Nozuka macrumors 65816

maybe this could help you:

http://fluentfactory.com/mboxmail-for-mac/

9. Apple-Guy macrumors member

similar problem, however mail tells me that the server is no longer responding

I used to be able to get my mail just fine using pop3 with smtp.live.com

but since recently it just says that mail can't connect to the server

now i did notice, that hotmail made some changes to ...well... hotmail..

(how i noticed) i had my mail open in firefox on windows (work comp) and when refreshing the page, it said that hotmail had been changed and that i needed to relaunch my browser

it's ince then that my hotmail no longer works.. anyone have any idea what's going on?

Greetz Apple-Guy

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

The pop3 server is pop3.live.com, not smtp.live.com, which is the outgoing mail SMTP server.

11. Apple-Guy macrumors member

sry if i confused you, but that's what i meant, pop3 for incoming with smtp for outgoing ^^

but yeah still doesn't work, contacted microsoft, though doubt they will help...

Greetz Apple-Guy

12. dermo macrumors newbie

Was able to pull mails from Hotmail for last 4 years, until I foolishly started trying to set up Outlook. Can see mails on Hotmail website, dispensed with the Outlook mail box, but still nothing.
    Any ideas anyone?