Mail App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 2GoldFish, Feb 1, 2012.

1. 2GoldFish macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Hi all,

I have finally purchased my first Apple computer - MacBook Pro. I have to say i am extremely happy with my purchase and i am glad that i have made the decision to go for a mac. :rolleyes:

I have just finished setting up my mail app and i have a couple of questions for those who have experience using the mail app (i guess this means everyone but me);

1. When i delete an email on the mail app. It does not actually delete the email in my hotmail account, is this normal?

2. When i read an email on the mail app. The email would still remain as 'unread' when i log onto my hotmail account, is this normal?

If this is normal, is it at all possible to reflect what i have done to the email on the Mail app onto my hotmail account? In other words, if i read an email using Mail, i also want the same email to appear as read when i log onto the hotmail account.

Thanks in advance.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is impossible to help you if you don't state what kind of account you have. By the two situations you describe I would guess POP3. You probably want to change it to IMAP if you can.

3. 2GoldFish thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Hi, my apology. Yes it seems like it is pop3 account.

How do i go about changing it to IMAP? Is it a setting that i can adjust if i log into my hotmail account?

Thanks

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'm not familiar with hotmail's settings, but I would search around their Settings page to see if you can change it.

5. 2GoldFish thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

Thanks.

So under my current setting (i.e. being a pop3). Is it normal that when i delete an email on the Mail App, it would still remain in my hotmail account? I am just wondering if i have set up the app incorrectly.

Thanks

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it is normal. POP3 works by "copying" messages that arrive in your inbox and sending it to your device, so in reality the e-mail you see on your device is a copy of the original. Your device and the actual mailbox are two separate things with no syncing. IMAP inboxes are synchronized across devices.

(Crude explanation but good enough)

7. 2GoldFish thread starter macrumors newbie

2GoldFish

I see, excellent. Thanks for the advice. I will look into the IMAP option. :)

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Unfortunately Hotmail does not support IMAP for desktop users. IMAP is available for Mobile (iPhone / iPad). I would look at using a better email service that supports IMAP like GMail.