MAIL app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmdfd415, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jmdfd415 macrumors regular

So I have an iphone that I use my yahoo mail account on and when it synced with yahoo mail it shows all my folders just as they are on yahoos web mail. I put my info in on the mail app on my macbook and the only folder it shows is inbox. is there a way to get the mail app on my macbook to sync folders and everything just like it does on my iphone?

2. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I use MobileMe so all of my stuff gets pushed and it does sync perfectly between MobileMe, my Macbook, and my iPhone. I used to sync a Pop account and my .Mac account. Now I have my Pop mail forwarded to my .Mac and I only have one account on my iPhone and MacBook Mail app.

I said all that to say that MobileMe eliminates syncing with iTunes so I haven't seen the summary page in iTunes for awhile... but is there a place in the iTunes/iPhone settings to tell it to sync all your folders? I'm thinking it should work and you should be able to do that. Maybe someone else is doing the same thing with their iPhone.

3. jmdfd415 thread starter macrumors regular

my concern isnt syncing my iphone. Its syncs just fine. Im trying ot figure out how the get the mail app on my MACBOOK to show the folders as it does on my iphone and on yahoos webmail.

4. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Sorry, thats what I meant...

When I sync, whatever I have created in one place shows in the other... that would include folders.

5. jmdfd415 thread starter macrumors regular

ok any idea why my mail app on my macbook isnt showing folders?

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

The folders in my Mail App do not show up as sub-folders in the Inbox... they show up in that column under a heading called "Mac"... I think by default it would be "On my Mac". What happens if you create the folders on your MB. Then forward the emails on your iPhone to yourself and on the Macbook store them in the respective folders. Delete the duplicates on the iPhone and then see what happens. Kind of like starting over but starting from the Mail App instead of Yahoo. Of course, I'm suggesting this hoping you don't have tons of emails cause that would be a mess. Or, instead of trial and error, since I'm just guessing and I don't want to mess your stuff up... call Apple Support and ask them. I always call them first. Tell them you are calling about Leopard and you'll get someone who really knows the Mail.App.

If you call them and they have a solution, I'll be curious to hear what the real solution is. Wish I could help more.

7. icebook2002 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if you need to set it up as IMAP and not pop (IMAP lists all folders in your mail directory). Check your settings and if it is POP you will need to create a new account (via preferences) and then force it to use IMAP (normally this is automatic as mail recognises most mail servers). You will then see all your folders.

8. jmdfd415 thread starter macrumors regular

looks like the problem is right there. apparently yahoo mail only supports pop and not imap so looks like im kinda screwed on that.