Mail application cancels shutdown and must be force quit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kurtbdudley, Nov 24, 2012.

1. kurtbdudley macrumors newbie

So about a month ago, my girlfriend's 13 inch 2012 macbook pro started having a problem. When she would shut down her computer with mail running it would freeze up. After about a minute a dialogue box would pop up saying that the application mail cancelled shutdown and to try again. Then when you go to mail and try to quit the "quit" selection is greyed out. So you have to force quit it and then try shutting down again.

This problem was localized to just her computer for about a month untill last week when my 2012 macbook pro (retina) and my 2010 27 inch imac started doing the same thing. As soon as it started happening to my computers too I realized that it must not be just her. More people must be having this problem. Are there any fixes for this or do we just need to wait for an update to solve the problem?

2. Snarl macrumors member

I've been having a similar issue this past week on a new MacBook Pro. So far I've been unable to find a solution so I'm hoping it is something that can be fixed in a future update.

3. sfxguy macrumors member

I get the same thing on my rMBP about every other shutdown.

4. George Wilson macrumors newbie

Mail Closure problem

Exactly the same for me- every other attempt at cmnd + Q fails and I have to Force Quit. Hopefully this isn't a major issue, but it's interesting to see that, even judging only by this thread, it's been on the go for at least a couple of weeks now.