Mail Application Does Not Fetch New Mail

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by guitarplyrstevo, Oct 11, 2015.

1. guitarplyrstevo macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i am brand new to Mac OS. I just set up the Mail application on my RMBP to fetch mail from my gmail account, however I've noticed it only fetches mail if I open the application.

I've browsed around all the settings and didn't find a setting to fix this, so I wanted to know if you guys would be able to help solve this issue, or possibly recommend a better functioning application.

On a side note, I owned an iPhone for about 3 years and it too had this same issue. I now own an Android phone (Nexus 5) and noticed email notifications arrive within a second of someone actually sending the email. I'm sure there is just something I am doing wrong which is preventing the mail application from automatically fetching new mail, I just need all of your help to solve this.

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

How have you set up your mail account on your Mac book? What are the Gmail settings from the Gmail side

3. guitarplyrstevo thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened the Mail app on my MBP, clicked Mail, then Accounts, clicked Google, then signed into my gmail account. I should also mention that the Mail app is set to "Check for new messages: Automatically".

I'm not sure what Gmail settings you are talking about to be honest, that may be the problem. Would you please elaborate?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No harm in just leaving your Mail app open.

5. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

mail app is not a dog...so it won't "go fetch." LOL.