Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
My mail application has started to open at start up of the computer. I seems to have happened at the same time as I installed Avast anti virus trial. But I am not sure if it happened at exactly the same time. I have checked the log in items in accounts and mail is one of them. Any ideas how I can stop it automatically opening.

Cheers.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
in the login items highlight mail and then hit the "-" (minus) button.

this should remove mail from the login items.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Sorry, I made a mistake before. I have checked the log in items, and mail is NOT one of them. Sorry about that mistake. Help still wanted, thanks.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
if you control-clic (right click) onto the mail icon in the dock, there should be an "open at login" item. is this checked?

im 99% sure that this would only add/remove apps from the login items screen however. and if it's not in your login items now, then this option is unlikely to be selected.

when mail opens does it just open a main window, or a message window?
also could there be another program launching mail for you? (something like Daylight might do this automatically - again just ideas!)

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Hi. It opens in the main window. I don't have any other programs that would open it, unless Avast is doing it, but I can't find any options in Avast to do that.

Tucker1988

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Same thing is happening to me, but I don't have AVAST, I was worried I have a trojan, but don't have antivirus to check it. Not sure whats opening it but Mail opens at startup everytime now and I am unsure why, its not in my startup items. Only thing changed recently is I downloaded and updated Adium. and I have Safari 4.0

korexz

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
I have the same issue.

Do you use MobileMe?

Do you you have a Hackintosh machine?

I have removed everything from my startup items and Mail still starts at login....

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...iCal will auto-launch Mail if there is a reminder or notification to be sent - have a look at what you may have in there.....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.