Mail application has started to open at start up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tiggle, Jul 4, 2008.

1. tiggle macrumors member

My mail application has started to open at start up of the computer. I seems to have happened at the same time as I installed Avast anti virus trial. But I am not sure if it happened at exactly the same time. I have checked the log in items in accounts and mail is one of them. Any ideas how I can stop it automatically opening.

Cheers.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

in the login items highlight mail and then hit the "-" (minus) button.

this should remove mail from the login items.

3. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I made a mistake before. I have checked the log in items, and mail is NOT one of them. Sorry about that mistake. Help still wanted, thanks.

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

if you control-clic (right click) onto the mail icon in the dock, there should be an "open at login" item. is this checked?

im 99% sure that this would only add/remove apps from the login items screen however. and if it's not in your login items now, then this option is unlikely to be selected.

when mail opens does it just open a main window, or a message window?
    also could there be another program launching mail for you? (something like Daylight might do this automatically - again just ideas!)

5. tiggle thread starter macrumors member

Hi. It opens in the main window. I don't have any other programs that would open it, unless Avast is doing it, but I can't find any options in Avast to do that.

6. Tucker1988 macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me, but I don't have AVAST, I was worried I have a trojan, but don't have antivirus to check it. Not sure whats opening it but Mail opens at startup everytime now and I am unsure why, its not in my startup items. Only thing changed recently is I downloaded and updated Adium. and I have Safari 4.0

7. korexz macrumors newbie

I have the same issue.

Do you use MobileMe?

Do you you have a Hackintosh machine?

I have removed everything from my startup items and Mail still starts at login....

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...iCal will auto-launch Mail if there is a reminder or notification to be sent - have a look at what you may have in there.....oh yeah!