Mail application Not Responding (at all!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darkvineyard, Aug 19, 2008.

1. darkvineyard macrumors newbie

darkvineyard

I'm having problems with my Mac mail. This is the first time I've ever had trouble with this amazing application.

I open up Mail, and only after a few moments, it freezes up. I'll see the spinning rainbow cursor that tells me I can't do anything.

What's up with that?

And when I open the application, I can't see anything in my inbox, even though I know there is mail in my inbox. I will post a screenshot in just a few moments.

And I forgot to mention that I have to press apple + 1, because when I first open Mail, it doesn't show the window.

[​IMG]Click for full size
    This may seem like nothing to you, but I don't have that many columns in my Mail application, so I don't know why it's like that. I assume it's part of the problem.

I use Gmail, so I don't have to worry about losing my mail, but I rather not lose the mail stored on my Mac all the same. ^^;;

2. soupastar macrumors newbie

a similar problem has happened to my lapbook as of this morning.

i checked around on the net to see if there were any online solutions.

so far i have repaired permissions which did nothing. Also rebooted the airport etc but still the problem remains.

i did try and remove the com.apple.mail.plist from the preferences folder and i put this onto the desktop and the problem ceased for my other non .mac account which also i running through Mail.

So i am guessing its something to do with the com.apple.mail.plist but when i put it back in preferences the problem starts again. I have to keep it in preferences to see my .mac emails.

What do i do?

3. darkvineyard thread starter macrumors newbie

darkvineyard

.plist

I forget, what purpose does a .plist serve? What does that plist do for your mac application, in particular? What happened if you deleted it?

edit1: I moved the .com.apple.plist to my desktop, and the Welcome to Mail window came up.
    edit2: But hey! All my mail is still there! So, is it safe to delete the .plist?
    Because I agree that it is apparently the problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try Google. It works! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.plist

5. soupastar macrumors newbie

i also removed the plist and the problem seems to be resolved now.

i got the tip from looking around the net. However i would be interested to know what effect my deleting it would have.

i had to re set up both my accounts in mail and seem to have lost a bulk of emails from one account. They are still accessible via the web just not through my Mail browser.

Also and slightly more bizarre some emails that i had received from someone had changed identity. For example if "bill" had sent me an email when i opened it it was actually an email from "simon" though when it sat in the inbox it said it was from "bill"

this only happened to a couple of mails received during the problem time yesterday. I just deleted them and it seems to have stopped but i am not sure why this happened.