Mail application won't let me use it until it has imported all my gmail messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Percyhappy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Percyhappy macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro. I had to do a system restore on my computer. For some reason the Mail application is making me set up my mail all over again. I use gmail. When I open the Mail application, a window comes up that says:

"Mail needs to import your messages. This might take a few minutes. You won't be able to use Mail until the import is finished"

So I hit import. A few minutes? Try 500 hours! That's what the Mail application says when I hit import. There are only two options that it gives me: there is a button to import the messages and a button to cancel and that's it. What if I don't want to import all those messages? The problem is, it says I have 9,000 messages to import from gmail according to the Mail application.That couldn't be right could it? 500 hours is just ridiculously long, there's no way i could download all that. It would take FOREVER. Is there any way to access my mail without having to import all the messages? How come all my other computer settings/apps stayed the same except for the Mail application when I did the system restore?

ps- did I post this in the right forum? What is the difference between a thread and a post?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's normal. It's not going to take 500 hours, it simply hasn't revised it's time estimate yet. Let it run. Might take a few hours, but if you don't, Mail won't work at all.

jW

3. Percyhappy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well now I've been letting it load all my messages all day and this morning it said 94 hours and I came back and it still says 94. It'll get to a certain number and then just stop loading every time. :confused: