Mail Application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by inco9nito99, Aug 22, 2013.

1. inco9nito99 macrumors newbie

I have a question for you guys. I use Gmail as my default mail application, and whenever I have a Google calendar event coming up, a pop-up appears at the top right corner of my screen - this is fine as I must have integrated gCalendar within the default calendar app. My issue is, alongside this, the default mail app jumps up and down in the toolbar asking me to setup the mail app (which I don't want to use). How can I prevent the mail app from constantly asking me to sign up every time a Google calendar app notification pops up? TIA!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've never run across anything like this because I use the default mail app with gmail. I do this because gmail supports imap which allows me to "mirror" everything that's on gmail's server on my Mac. Why wouldn't you take advantage of this capability and use mail.app? If you simply cannot stand mail.app, may I suggest Mozilla Thunderbird (free) or Sparrow (shareware).

As for preventing it from nagging you, I would try dragging the icon off the dock. It doesn't uninstall mail.app but it does get it out of your face.

I really like the way the Apple ecosystem works. What you are trying to do is use one thing (calendar) while forcing another thing (mail) to stay dormant. I doubt that Apple has invested any effort in making a scenario like yours work seamlessly.

3. samh macrumors 6502

I would say either remove the calendar integration if you're not using it, or else just set up the mail account and continue not using it (at least it won't bug you then).

4. inco9nito99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks fellas! I guess I'll try out mail.app :).