Mail arrives on iPhone, doesn't arrive in Mail on Macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zombiedictator, May 5, 2008.

1. zombiedictator macrumors member

Need some help with a problem I have with mail that is read on my iPhone causing mail to not be delivered to Mail in Leopard on my Macbook.

So here is the problem. I get an e-mail on my iPhone, read it and delete it. I get home and I'd still like a copy of that e-mail on my laptop, but it never retrieves it. I log into my account through the web interface and the message is there, unread, so it's not like Mail doesn't retrieve it because it isn't "new". This only started happening with the last patch or two.

I'm using Gmail and both the iPhone and Mail are setup to use POP3 mail retrieval. Macbook is 10.5.2 and iPhone is 1.1.4. Basically, I want mail to stay on the server forever, my Macbook would keep mail for as long as I need it, and my iPhone basically just keeps my informed while I am not near my Macbook.

Another mail problem I have is that even though I have the iPhone set to retrieve mail every 15 minutes, sometimes it never does and I can only get it manually.

2. zmit macrumors regular

ok. well the whole 'macbook doesnt download' thing is PROBABLY because you deleted it....

are you sure its POP3? - regardless, the server is probably saying 'ive sent this to you once, so i wont send it again'

i am using Gmail IMAP on my MacBook and iPhone.... works fairly well. im still sussing it out but i receive mail on both of them. even better, they appear as read when i look at it on one of them! (i.e. read it on iphone, appears as read on macbook)

there are still a few teething issues, but works well. a few times now i have received my mail before i even unlock the front door.

macbook mail - check every 5 mins.
    iphone - check every 15 mins