Mail - Attachments download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ufkdo, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Hi,

I use my gmail account with Apple's Mail client. I have a problem that it downloads every single mail in every single mail box. I use some of these boxes only for backup of my important files. So I don't need them on my computer 2nd time. Since I have 128 GB only, it's important to manage my storage well.

I want Mail not to download all messages (It would be enough if it downloaded inbox and sent mail only) or not to download attachments automatically. Is it possible? After it downloads all of them, I'm deleting attachments from ~library/mail but it starts re-downloading them immediately :(

Any help will be appreciated, thanks for reading.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The reason Mail is downloading all your old messages is because that's what the standard mailbox protocols- IMAP and POP- are supposed to do. If you don't want all the messages in your Inbox folder to be downloaded by Mail, you need to move them to a different folder or archive them through the web interface.

You cannot selectively choose which messages to download or to download/not download attachments in Mail.

3. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no problems with inbox and sent-mail folders, my problem is "drafts" folder and "All Mail" folder. I keep my backups in drafts folder which there is no need to download them.