Mail background battery usage

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ProwlingTiger, May 11, 2015.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yesterday I noticed my iPhone 6 Plus going through incredible battery drain. Today I pegged it at about 1% per minute. I took a 1 hour nap yesterday and it dropped a whopping 25%. In settings > usage > battery usage, Mail background tasks takes the cake at 40% in the past 24 hours and a similar story for the last 7 days.

A few days ago I wasn't receiving any messages which was odd. I rebooted my iPhone and that fixed it. But I'm not so,some who does a lot of emailing from my iPhone, I check maybe 10 messages a day.

This seems really abnormal to me. How can I fix this?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Delete your email accounts, reboot and then reinstall them.
    Sometimes a network settings reset works too, but the first recommendation works 100% of the time.

4. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

So turn off the mail slider on the iCloud settings? If I completely sign out of iCloud, my iPhone warns me about the serious consequences and frankly it sounds like PITA to reconfigure everything.

I have 2 Gmail accounts plus my iCloud account.

5. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

what kind of signal strength -are you on Wifi or cellular.
    Not quite that bad but I find if I have a very poor signal mail seems to eat the battery - as I assume it continues to try and connect and get email with a very poor signal it tries and tries more and more.

At home with great WiFI I battery barely moves.

6. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I have full signal strength whether on wifi or LTE.

7. Dizle macrumors 6502

Something is up with my Mail app as well, I have 3 accounts all set to fetch 1 hour and it takes up 3-5% battery with very little usage. I set it to manual and am switching back to Mailbox. Push is off

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Nothing to do with iCloud. Just go into settings, then mail, then delete all your email accounts.
    Reboot and then reinstall them.

9. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

That takes me to the iCloud settings when I try and remove the iCloud mail account. I'm on the latest iOS, maybe you're on a different one.

10. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I've noticed the same issue on my 6 plus ever since I updated to 8.3. Background mail activity is as high as 17%. I don't have this issue on my air 2 with the exact same settings and accounts. Hopefully 8.4 will fix this issue.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You don't need to remove the iCloud mail account but if you do you can just select to keep the data on your phone. Then when you sign back into iCloud it will install the email account again.

----------

This can happen now and again with every update. Just delete your email accounts, reboot and then reinstall them again. You don't need to wait for 8.4 because I don't have the issue and your iPad doesn't have the issue....therefore it isn't a bug in 8.3