Mail (backup from gmail)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guklein, May 8, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Recently I am concerned about the unstably of gmail. I am thinking of backup my messages to Mail.

Is it possible? How?

Thanks.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

follow the instructions in gmail for adding an IMAP email account to Mail. Mail will then download your messages and keep a copy in gmail. If gmail stops working you will still have the messages in Mail.

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

One way to do it would be to access your gmail through POP instead of IMAP. But I'm sure you can change the folder your email goes into to be a local folder too. I don't use Mail, so I don't know exactly where it is.

Oh, and there's this thread on it too.:)

Edit: What kind of issues have you had with gmail? I have about 10 accounts with them with calendars and documents and tons of labels, and they've been rock solid for me.

4. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also have gmail for years. I love it!

But last days I am experiecing some issues, sometimes it is 'out of air'. I will backup it just for security...
    :)

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I really can't say that I blame you. I have company spreadsheets on all of our deals and everytime I make a change I download the spreadsheet. I have TC backups too. You never be too safe. I don't think I'd have enough disk space to download all my mail though. :eek::)