Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Since moving to an iPhone 14 Pro Max on launch day, I’ve been having issues with iOS 16 Mail app. I will receive a new email message to my iCloud account and the Mail app will show 2 for the badge notification when I only received one message. I’ll restart my phone and it’s fine for a while and then it randomly starts happening again. Where each time I get a piece of iCloud mail the badge count increases by 2 instead of 1.

I haven’t seen this issue mentioned anywhere, is anyone else having it?

Thanks!

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I know you’re probably checked this already, but is it possible there’s an unread mail somewhere in your mail app? I sometimes have to dig a little bit to find it as this happens every now and then to me as well. Sometimes it shows up in Junk or Trash.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
I know you’re probably checked this already, but is it possible there’s an unread mail somewhere in your mail app? I sometimes have to dig a little bit to find it as this happens every now and then to me as well. Sometimes it shows up in Junk or Trash.
Thanks very much for the reply and the possible resolution. Unfortunately it’s not an unread message.

To clarify, my iCloud mailbox will have no unread messages. There will not be a badge icon on the mail app. A new message will come in via iCloud. The badge icon should display one message, but instead it shows two. On all my other Apple devices the badge indicates one. However on the iPhone 14 Pro Max with iOS 16 (any minor point release so far) shows two for the badge. This randomly happens and is solved by checking the mail, and then rebooting the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.