MAIL basics ....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bob2131, Sep 2, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi,
    the mail app with my new macbook.
    i understand to use hotmail with it i have to pay hotmail $20.
    but gmail is free.........and Mail is free also??

would emails get taken off the gmail server?
    does Mail have its own server?

i have hotmail, had it for years.
    what are my options?
    i dont want to lose my old emails.
    or lose my email address.

opera is having problems with hotmail. all browsers are not good with hotamil. only internet explorer.
    so im thinking about a client.....like mail, or outlook........
    but its all so very complicated...............

can someone send an email to my hotamail address, but it gets forwarded to my new gmail address??

how good is Mail??
    is the best email client for mac??

what are the top email clinets?

thankyou.

2. Corrado33 macrumors member

Sorry but there is NO easy way to use hotmail on a mac, unless you want to pay hotmail for the premium account.

There is no way to forward your hotmail mail to another account (unless you pay for the premium account.)

Mail is free, and works VERY well with Gmail (in fact so well that you only have to type in your e-mail address and password, no set up required)

Emails get taken off of the server is much (or as little) as you want them to. You can have them removed as soon as you see them in mail, or you can have them removed weekly, monthly, or even never. (With gmail you can set a preference so that even if you do remove the e-mails daily, an archived copy will stay on gmails server until you delete it manually. (Or you can have them delete monthly... etc)

I believe that Mail is the best solution for a mail client for mac. If you really don't like to use Hotmail online, I'd suggest getting a gmail account, forward all of your e-mails over manually (so you don't lose them), then tell everybody you changed your e-mail address.

There ARE programs to forward hotmail to other accounts... but you usually have to pay for them, and they usually don't work unless you have a premium account (which defeats the purpose.)

Hope that helped.

3. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou for that good info;......
    yeah im gonna give gmail a go....and test it out with Mail.....its all free right?

so if i pay hotmail for the premium account, can i transfer my old emails to another provider?? i have thousands of emails going back years.....

or could i back up all my old emails and email addresses from hotmail elsewhere??

4. Corrado33 macrumors member

Yes Mail and gmail are both free. And wow that's a lot of e-mails. No one said you had to delete your old e-mail account. You can still keep it and just use it to hold the old e-mails. Just make sure to sign in every once in a while to make sure the account doesn't get deleted.

About backing up your old e-mails... well, I personally don't use Hotmail, but maybe you can select all (or some and do it in stages) of the old e-mails (with the check marks maybe), the select "Forward as attachment" (If it's there, again I don't use hotmail, you might just have "Forward" which would work but not as well). Then you can forward all of the old e-mails to your new account just to have them somewhere. This e-mail could then be downloaded to your computer so it doesn't sit on your gmail account online (not that that is a problem because I believe gmail has 6 or 7 gigs per account now.)

If you pay for hotmail premium, I don't think it'll help you migrate your old e-mails to another account, it'll just make it possible to forward all of the NEW mail to another account, but that's it.

I honestly have no idea how you'll change the e-mail addresses (contacts) over, sorry. :confused:

I hope you figure everything out.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

good thinking about forwarding the old email to new account....thats not possible, i just tried......ill check agian tho.....yeah im gonna keep hotmail....its my baby...it was my first ever email....and i still use yahoo as it was my first experience with the internet.....

"This e-mail could then be downloaded to your computer so it doesn't sit on your gmail account online "..........how exactly? you mean via Mail app?

when emails get transferred from gmail to Mail on mac.....the emails are stored on the macs hard drive?? does this mean theres 2 copies of the same email then? one on gmail server and one on mac hard drive???
    so if you back up mac computer, the email stored on the hard drive would be backed up also.......? in case gmail account is ever hacked into .......you would have your emails on your mac right?

thankyou for support

6. Jonathan_W macrumors member

If you want to transfer your Hotmail emails to your Google Mail account, find an email client that supports Hotmail natively, for example: Entourage (Mac OS X) or Outlook (Windows). After you have chosen your client, use the following instructions:

1. Set up Hotmail account in email client
    2. Set up Google Mail account in email client
    3. Wait for client to download all emails from both accounts
    4. Select and copy all emails from Hotmail inbox to Google Mail inbox
    5. Do the same for any other Hotmail folders such as sent, drafts etc and copy them to the respective folders in your Google Mail account
    6. After you have done that, verify that no emails have been missed during the transfer
    7. Optionally, close/delete your Hotmail account to prevent any receiving any further emails
    If you do this, you'll have your Google Mail account containing all your Hotmail emails intact (sender, recipient, dates and any other information) as well as free POP and IMAP access :)

7. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoa whoa whoa
    "find an email client that supports Hotmail natively,"....why?
    [*]Set up Hotmail account in email client
    [*]Set up Google Mail account in email client

why both accounts in email client.....say if i choose entourage on mac....
    why would i need to enter hotmail AND gmail details into it?

Wait for client to download all emails from both accounts
    ? will this happen automatically?

would emails still be stored on my hotmail account??? i just want to copy them to gmail.....

thanks for that...and sorry for all the q's......

8. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Mail (Apple) doesn't support Hotmail natively without using plugins. However if you use Entourage, it makes the process much easier because it supports Hotmail natively without you having to pay to use Hotmail with third party applications.

To copy your Hotmail emails into your Google Mail, you require to set up both accounts in order to copy the emails from your Hotmail account over to your Google Mail account in Entourage (within the same application) otherwise you can't.

After you have set up an account in Entourage, it will download all the emails from your account for offline viewing automatically.

If you copy the emails and leave your Hotmail account intact then yes.

No problems, happy to help! :)

10. Jonathan_W macrumors member

You can do it on there, it doesn't matter what Operating System you use as long as the program/application is made by Microsoft so that you can download your Hotmail emails for free :)

11. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is crazy.....this is very complicated.
    outlook is very complex too, to set up. l
    so ill use outlook on my pc....but its already set up to another email address.
    can outlook or Mail, retrieve email from 3 different email providers?

so outlook will be like the middleman, so hotmail emails will get downloaded into outlook, and then from outlook i will upload them into gmail account? all through outlook?

im just afraid of messing it up and losing my old emails and addresses.

but if this is possible like you say it is...........the gmail account acts as a back up for all my old hotmail emails, right?

this is very complicated.
    outlook is complicated.

12. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Outlook is pretty simple to setup if you use the accounts wizard which it will automatically set up both your Hotmail and Google Mail accounts. Outlook can use as many accounts as you would like. If you follow my instructions posted above and only copy the emails over, you won't mess up or lose anything at all :)

Google Mail can act as a backup or fully replace Hotmail since it provides much better features :p

13. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so after all this is done..........

when i go on the internet.....and use a browser to check my gmail email....
    would all my old hotmail emails be stored on the there? (so the old hotmail emails would be stored on the google servers?)

i plan to use Mail on my macbook with my new gmail email adress....
    but would like to tranfer my hotmail emails...........

so they would be backed up right? and then i would also back up the mac....which would back them up again right?

when email is retrieved by apples Mail.....it gets stored on the mac hard-drive right?

how do you make sure that you COPY the emails, and not move them?

what do you use? for email.....do you use Mail on you mac?

14. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Yes they will be :)

Yes, they will be backed up twice :p

Yes, your emails will be stored locally on your Macintosh HD :)

Select all your emails (Control + A or Command + A) in whatever email client you are going to use, right click and copy.

Right click on the preferred folder you want like to copy the emails to and paste them.

I use Mail and used Outlook 2007 on my Windows XP virtual machine virtualised by VMware Fusion to copy my Hotmail emails over to my Google Mail account :)

15. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so outlook will upload my emails to google servers?
    thats pretty crazy right?

im not understanding how i can copy emails from hotmail to google mail....from within outlook.......i mean will i be dragging and dropping folders?

so emails will be stored on

1. hotmail account/severs
    2. gmail servers/accoung
    3. my hard drive via apple Mail

right?

thats beatuful if thats the case.

say if the above is true..........then say 2 months later....i want to update the gmail and Mail with my newer hotmail emails......

16. Jonathan_W macrumors member

If you follow my instructions, Outlook will specifically do that :)

I wouldn't drag anything because Outlook might move the emails, not copy them.

For example, if you want to copy all the emails in your Hotmail inbox, select all the emails in the column of Outlook and right click, copy. Then select your Google Mail inbox, right click in the same column (presumably empty because of new Google Mail account) and paste. Repeat for other folders. Simple as that :)

That's correct :)

Indeed :p

If you receive new emails in your Hotmail account, repeat the instructions for new emails only to avoid duplicates :)

If I were you, I'd try and close the Hotmail account and migrate everything to Google Mail for ease of mind.

Or, tell everyone your new email address if you want to keep the Hotmail account open just in case if you receive any new emails.

You can also migrate your MSN contacts (if you use MSN Messenger) to your Google Mail account which too can be used with MSN :)

17. Corrado33 macrumors member

Wow, I have to say that Jon's ideas are ingenious... I never thought of that at all. Hmm... Well, I'd go with what he says :)

You learn something new every day... :apple:

18. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep,...jonathan w is a genius.

jon jon jon please help....ive set up outlook now....and ive put my hotmail details into it......so hotmail account is set up in outlook....

i have not pressed send and receive yet.....because im scared all the hotmail emails will get MOVED to outlook.......i want to make sure they remain on hotmail server........is this possible?

(i just wanna download hotmail stuff into outlook, first.......gmail can wait. one step at a time man, this is all very very complicated stuff!!!

thankyou

i just pressed send and receive in outlook and hotmail stuff never came, it said error of some sort......

ive read about some connector software people use from microsoft to allow this to happen, maybe i need that....

19. Katilea macrumors member

how do i stop apple mail displaying my full name on outgoing mail?

Hi

I downloaded Thunderbird to start with as it had smileys and i cant find how to use them in Apple mail but found that apple mail downloaded photos a lot quicker and also resize and send them direct from iphoto.

The problem is my full name is visible on outgoing mails. Luckily I only sent it to someone who already knows me, but many people on internet forums know me only under my nickname 'Katilea'.

As I've already had a stalker incident when I was previously on AOL I'm not too keen on my full name been displayed on emails, how do I change it in apple mail so it only displays my name as 'Katilea' to everyone?

20. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Strange I didn't need that when I tried mine however, what you're after is Microsoft Office Outlook Connector :)

You can change your full name by going to Mail's preferences, click on the accounts icon. From there, on click the specific account you want your full name, under the Account Information tab, you can change your full name :)

21. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i didnt either, cause im running 2003 outlook, and it says this should be ok....i dont even know if my outlook is real, i paid a comp tech to install it, he never gave me a copy.

will emails get taken off hotmail, moved? or just copied? it doesnt say anything about this......i want to keep them in hotmail, and just copy them over to outlook...

i also have folder made in hotmail, eg...work.....music info......will these not get transfered?

thankyou

22. Jonathan_W macrumors member

Outlook will only download (copy) them to your PC and it will download all the folders and emails that are in those folders as well.

23. Katilea macrumors member

I changed it in there and in my address book but everytime i go to write a new email it has Katilea as my first name and includes my surname. I have to edit it delete surname and send.

however next time i use it the surname has reappeared! Its driving me nuts! :eek:

Also I cant get smileys to display even though someone told me i just need to write the emoticon text .. colon, right bracket etc. However when my friend emailed me and put smileys in from AOL they showed up as smileys.

If i send it from thunderbird i can only see the smileys in thunderbird not apple mail or when loggin on via isp website..this is also driving me nuts!!..lol

If i could fix these two issues Id prefer apple mail as it downloads photos better and quicker than thunderbird.

Can anyone help before this new mac goes through the window!!

24. Jonathan_W macrumors member

I can't help you any further however you could try Apple Discussions since they have a dedicated section for Mail and Address Book :)

25. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

woulld outlook connector work on a mac???
    i noticed its an exe file.............

is there like a connector thing that would allow hotmail to be downloaded onto outlook on a mac??