Mail behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidra, Mar 4, 2013.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

New to mac. I have two accounts in mail: a Yahoo Plus account (which has the usual flakiness) and an Outlook Exchange account. Both work reasonably well with intermittent loss of contact. Every time I wake the computer from sleep after several hours, mail begins to sync 3700 "incoming messages". Why? I can't tell which account is doing this, or both, or whether this is normal behavior. Have looked at preferences but can't figure out what to change, if anything. Just seemed to me that rather than downloading every message, it should just update the ones that have changed since the last time I accessed the account from this computer. But I'm sure I'm missing something.....

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's just staying up to sync with your Yahoo Plus and Outlook Exchange accounts.

3. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Yeah I have it too, with my exchange account. Normal behavior as far as I know

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Your mail client and the mail server are synchronised. If you delete one email, then when you reconnect, the other one needs to know what has happened.

If you have 3,700 messages in your InBox, then you can expect the client to sync them with the server every time the connection is re-established.

5. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Certainly don't have that many in my inbox, but easily have that many in my folders as it's a work account.