Mail bringing up wrong message

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tdevers, Jan 14, 2009.

1. tdevers macrumors regular

This has been occurring more often in the past week or so. I'll open a message that is from Person A with Subject A. The actual message being open will be a previous message from Person B with subject B. Completely different. It just seems like a database error or something.

I am using Mail with my GMail setup through IMAP. A restart does not fix it nor does quitting and re-opening mail. The message comes through just fine on my BlackBerry.

Is there some way I can refresh the messages or something?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

This would typically indicate something wrong with the index database of your Mail application. What I'd recommend is for you to reindex your mailboxes by navigating to your home folder Library, entering the Mail folder, and removing the Envelope Index file and relocating any of the folders beginning with "Mac-," "Exchange-," or "IMAP-" to the Desktop. This should of course be done while exited out of Mail. When you relaunch, Mail should reindex the messages from the IMAP server and your messages should appear correctly.

3. tdevers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I just found an option under Mailbox, called Rebuild. I suspect it does about the same as you just explained. If it does it again I will definitely try it your way.

Thanks!