Mail but better than apple mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aicul, May 4, 2009.

1. aicul macrumors 6502a

I am using apple mail intensively on a portable and I must admint I am quite dissappointed by this application.

Most of the time it suddenly decides it wants to re-synch my full mailbox and runs away doing whatever for hours. This may seem innocent to most, but on a telephone line connected to a portable... just absurd. Anyway, until it has re-synched nothing really works. :confused:

So I am actually asking for advice from members of what they suggest as an alternative mail osx client for imap email.

thanks for your insights

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try Thunderbird, although it sounds like most of your problems stem from settings under Preferences -> Accounts -> Mailbox Behaviors

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Try PostBox... its in Beta.. but its at like Beta 11... so it's almost finished!!

4. aicul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I fail to see how I can tell apple mail not to resynch a mailbox that is perfectly synched. I can understand synching the latest, new emails...

So when apple mail decides to resynch ALL mails (2000+), including the SENT mailbox, re-cache all attachments, etc.. I think the issue is not in the preferences.

But I may be wrong, care to direct me more specifically to the correct option in the preferences I should consider.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You do understand that Postbox, like Eudora 8, is a variation on Thunderbird, don't you?

6. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

As a matter of fact, I didn't, but... the interface of Postbox is so much better than Thunderbird as You know...

(I can do annoying formatting to..)

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Amen.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they share same core. but postbox does offer unique functions and interesting UI. which is quite good.