Mail, Cal, Contacts sync with Outlook.com

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by garethhowell, Feb 17, 2014.

1. garethhowell macrumors newbie

I made the jump from gmail to outlook.com for one of my accounts, mainly because of increasing problems with gmail's implementation of IMAP and its incompatibility with Mavericks mail.app.

I've tried to find a Mac app that actually works with all aspects of outlook.com, but so far I've failed. IMAP apps are no good because they are mail only. I've tried to get on with Touchdown, because its the only ActiveSync app I've found so far, but I just frustrated by its immaturity.

I use Outlook 2011 for work, but Outlook 2011 doesn't support EAS and outlook.com doesn't support OWS.

Is there an app that works like Outlook 2011 (i.e. mail, cal and contacts) and works properly with outlook.com?

Gareth

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I have been searching for this as well and the answer so far is no and it is frustrating. It all works great in iOS but not in OSX. For Outlook to sync your calendar & contacts properly w/ your Mac, they need to implement calDav & cardDav. I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.

3. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Same here, and unfortunately I don't see it changing -- not anytime soon and probably not ever.

4. Adamsappel macrumors regular

http://www.companionlink.com

----------

I think that only Companionlink can help here. http://www.companionlink.com

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yes, without some sort of third-party tool (and I can't really vouch for any of them) there isn't a way to sync your Outlook.com stuff with Mac OS apps.

I'm interested to know...is there a reason you didn't switch the account to iCloud?

Hints of a new Microsoft Office for Mac being released this year have been popping up lately. We'll see if it includes full Outlook.com syncing.

6. Adamsappel, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Adamsappel macrumors regular

I live in a 3rd world country where cellular data is both insanely expensive and also intermittent. This is true for 2/3 of global Internet users. Policy makers and systems architects live in a world of unrealistic expectations.

Adding insult to injury: the recent revelation of a critical security breach much later plugged by 7.06 did not inspire confidence. I do not want anyone being able to access my information.

But the cost and availability of good signal is the real concern.

7. Adamsappel macrumors regular

My phone is right next to my computer. I am at the tip of Africa. Why do I have to pass through a server in California to let the two devices sync? What is wrong with tethering a cable or even Bluetooth? Where is the logic in this?

A year ago, the undersea cable was ripped apart either by a trawler dragging its anchor or sanoteurs off the coast of Egypt. That disrupted services acrosd a continent that is three times the size of the USA. Yet especially American vendors cannot see how out of tune their readoning is.

A Nokia Asha, being a basic feature phone, can do what a mighty iPhone 5 from the most valuable company upon earth cannot.

Apple does not understand how progress works. If something isn't broken, then don't fix it.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

A few years ago, you could sync an iPod or even your bluetooth comparable "dumbphone" with your mac, using iSync. It doesn't even look like it's included in OS X anymore. They call this progress, but only if you use an iPhone, and only if you have a good internet connection.

9. Adamsappel macrumors regular

Much of the functionality is now iCloud only. Such as inviting others when making appointments, syncing Notes, etc.

It seems that Windows 7 with Outlook and a basic Nokia with Nokia Suite are what we require, at a fraction of the cost, that is.

10. garethhowell thread starter macrumors newbie

I also access my email from Windows using Outlook 2013.

I'd have the same problem about address book and calendar syncing if I migrated purely to iCloud. Also, I'm less enamoured with Apple these days. I have no intention of moving from Macs and iDevices but I have little faith in Apple's ability to deliver cloud based services. I guess I've been bitten too many times by iSync.

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you'd like to use the Mac and iOS apps, along with the products you mention from Microsoft, the way to go is a hosted Exchange account. I've had to do that with one of my domains.

12. Adamsappel, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

Adamsappel macrumors regular

How does that Exchange server work without an internet connection and using portable devices? Adding insult to injury, a day ago iCloud suffered from authentication issues and we could not log in. iCloud is sheer crap.

----------

Third world's resources drive First World economies in many ways. It would be daft to alienate trading partners but this is exactly what policy makers and systems architects are doing.

Africa, for example, has 1,1 billion people of which less than 16% saturation. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...inent-big-China-India-US-Europe-together.html It is a lucrative market growing at around 3 600%. Yes, 3k%!

Africa is huge. The Sahara desert alone covers all of the USA on size yet it is only a third of the Dark Continent. South America, even Asia are at least a decade away from functional connectivity.

As broadband is both hugely expensive and also simply non-existent in many places, we MUST HAVE Outlook local sync between phone and pc via USB, Bluetooth or wireless.

Apple just started forcing iSheeple through a mostly nonexistent cloud, thereby alienating hordes of users even on Europe.

Nokia was rather unwise to take Nokia Suite away from Lumia My country is where 6 Nokias get sold for every single non-Nokia device. That is changing fast as Nokii jump ship. Android could be taking over because of Nokia's short-sightedness.

Bring in full local sync as we simply cannot use an imaginary cloud. Calendar, tasks, reminders, contacts and especially Notes.

Marketing departments should research their markets better and systems architects need to get an education and also travel, to see what users at grassroots level are dealing with. Apple is out of touch with the realities that face their customers. Apple are making themselves irrelevant and possibly obsolete by adopting policies that lack even the most basic infrastructure out there. If they wanted to control the globe, travel with Nasa to the moon as earth is too big for them to comprehend.

I always laugh when someone in America asks me if I know Mr So-and-So. Then I ask: where does he live? Then he says "Ghana" and he cannot understand that Johannesburg is in a different country, let alone realising that there are 54 independent countries in Africa. Algiers in Algeria is 8013.18km or 4979.30 miles from Cape Town. Distances are huge and large tracts of land are sparsely populated, due to either impenetrable forests or deserts. Yet we need to communicate and only local sync can ever work.

Also: data from my Macbook, two feet away from my iPhone, needs to travel a whopping 23,140km to Cupertino, LA and the same distance back so that I can satisfy iDictator and sync through his iCloud. I need to have an internet connection and then pay dearly for the use of the data carrier. This is sheer stupidity as I used to be doing this for free, anywhere in the bush, on the Landrover's hood which is a nice desk. Does it make any sense?

To Apple, 46,280km is less than two feet.