Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Just in the last couple of days upgraded to Lion and migrated from MobileMe to iCloud, and now Apple Mail is doing something I don't like, but I can't figure out how to stop it.

Best is to give an example. Last night I sent an email to someone. He responded this morning at 8:27 AM, and then sent me another response at 8:32 AM (with something he forgot to put in the first email).

Well in my Apple Mail program, in the column on the left that lists all my email messages in my inbox, there is only ONE messages from him...not two. It is the message with the 8:32 AM time stamp. But on the listing for that one messages is a dark grey box with the number 2 in it (indicating to me, apparently, 2 messages). And sure enough, when I *click* on that message, then in my right-hand part of the window where you can read the full message, sure enough there is his 8:32 AM message and then right below it, his 8:27 AM message.

What I want to do is to STOP this nesting behavior, so that in the column on the left, I see both messages listed.

FWIW, when I pull up mail on my iPad, it works fine. It is only when I use the Apple Mail program on my computer that I get this behavior.

I figure it has to be something in the Apple Mail preferences, but I swear I have gone through those ten times this morning and can't find any toggle that seems to address the issue.

Help!

John Paul

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Mail > View > Organize by Thread (uncheck)

Haha so simple...but I was so focused on Preferences that I never thought to look anywhere else. :eek:

(Small slight thing though, at least on mine, it is 'Organize by Conversation." Minor difference in wording, but it definitely accomplished what I wanted.)

Thanks much for the quick response!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
(Small slight thing though, at least on mine, it is 'Organize by Conversation." Minor difference in wording, but it definitely accomplished what I wanted.)
Apparently, they changed the wording in Lion, which I don't use. Glad it helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.