Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovejoyPE9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
UK
I'm having repeated problems in mail running OS10.5.5 on my powerbook when the spinning wheel comes up and the program freezes. This had been an issue in the past and the genius bar reloaded all my permissions in an attempt to sort out my leopard.

I'm loathe to reinstall everything as previous attemptshave come to nought.

I recently got an error message "mail cannot contact spellchecker"

Googling the problem I came across a page on another forum advising deleting the dictionary preferences and restarting. I do not appear to have any of the dictionary preferences mentioned (my preferences file also has some nasty looking files again but I want to address those issues later)

Looking under the spell check commands in mail none of the options can be highlighted - see attached

Any help that can be offfered would be greatly appreciated. Am in the middle of a busy time at work and do not have the hours required ot relaod everything. In the meantime my mail is crawling.

Do I have to resort to terminal commands etc?

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 57

LovejoyPE9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
UK
and now this ....

I haven't restarted mail or computer but now it's recognizing spell checker and I have

com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist
and
com.apple.Dictionary.plist

in my preferences file :eek:

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.