Mail can't remember password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wassim, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Wassim macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    I've had my iMac for almost 5 months and everything runs perfectly.

Not much of a big deal but 2-3 times a day, the mail app asks me to retype my mail password. I always check the box so it can remember my password in the keychain but doesn't seem like it is.
    Any suggestions? or is this normal for security reasons?
  2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

Jan 22, 2011
    South Central PA
    I used to get this for Comcast all the time... it hasnt done it in a long time but that issue was a problem for many customers and it was and issue with Comcast. This may be the same thing.... but a problem on the hotmail end.
  3. KalashniKEV macrumors member

Mar 24, 2010
    I could never get this to stop, so I switched to Thunderbird.
  4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2008
    Yea this happens to me all the time with my Hotmail account. Luckily I never use it because it's Hotmail, so it's not to bad.
  5. dexterdex macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2011
  6. Jade02 macrumors newbie

Aug 8, 2010
    Check the password field in the Mail preferences under accounts. If it's empty enter your password.

Frequently refreshing your mail can also result in a password prompt
  7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    I've had that problem a few times--and every time it was an issue with the Road Runner mail servers--and the problem went away once it was fixed.
  8. Wassim thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2010
    I think that will fix the problem, i just entered my password where you told me to and the box was empty.

thank you very much
  9. mscriv macrumors 601

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    This happens to me too

I have this problem with my At&t mail accounts. I've made sure the correct passwords are stored in the account preferences, but still the password prompt comes up on a pretty regular basis. It's not every time I check email, but it does happen several times a day.

For those of you who said it was a problem with your provider, did you call them to report the problem?