Mail - can't send but can receive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kmn07c, Jun 2, 2010.

1. kmn07c macrumors newbie

I just got my Mac last week and ever since then I haven't been able to send mail from one account. I can both receive and send from my gmail account. My EDU account can only receive mail, and not send it. I've tried resetting the information, and even deleted the account a few times. All of the servers and ports are exactly like the school website says they should be... Anybody know what I can do to fix this?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You can always see is great detail what Mail is doing by going to Mail's menu item "Window" and then choose "connection doctor" .This will show the whole process Mail is doing To get/send email.

Plus open Mail's Preferences, Accounts tab. In there use the Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP) drop down To edit your send server For the affect account. Before you do this verify the settings with someone for what port to send email on and then you set that port and it's security settings.

Good luck.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

As an add-on, you may want to ask the school if the settings on the school website are for off-site access, i.e. when not using a dorm/campus internet connection. Some ISPs have restrictions such as this, i.e. if you are not using their internet, you cannot send messages using their SMTP server because you could potentially be a spammer.