Mail can't send Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ribbonthecat, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

This afternoon I set up a new Wi-Fi router, with AT&T Yahoo DSL, and with an Airport Express as the router. Now, whenever I try to send an email through my university's STMP server, I get a message that Mail cannot send the email through the server. When I connect to a different Wi-Fi network, Mail can then send the email without any problems. Can anybody diagnose the problem and propose a remedy?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're more then likely not using proper ports or encryption.

3. ribbonthecat thread starter macrumors regular

So how do I fix that? What is a port? The network is encrypted with a 40-bit WEP.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd check your university's knowledge base for the correct port. It's more then like port 587.

Encryption would be for your authentication.

5. kiddax macrumors newbie

Not sure if its just a settings issue but if they are correct also check with AT&T.

When I used to have DSL I could not send e-mail out via any other SMTP server other than yahoo's. I had to use webmail for my domain e-mail for awhile.

I dont know if this is still the case/I heard from a friend that it's available with DSL Pro package but I dont know if thats true or not.