Mail: Choosing the "From" address

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by desertman, Nov 21, 2012.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Hello Forum,

Is there any way (or tool) to choose the "From" address in new emails with the keyboard instead of having to use the mouse? This step - choosing the "From" address - is the only part when writing a new email that needs a mouse, and I would very much prefer if I could do this completely just with the keyboard.

Greetings - desertman

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Type, "From:" then your search text.

Also applies to,

Subject:
    To:
    Any:

Edit: I read your post wrong I think. If you mean selecting another email address in the drop down box just use the arrow keys.

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks. Not very elegant but possible. It needs these steps after typing in the "To" address before reaching to the text field of a newly started email:

Tab
    Tab
    Tab
    Tab
    Tab
    Arrow Keys (for choosing the "From" address)
    Enter
    Tab
    Tab

Especially that inbetween the Enter key is necessary makes this a little cumbersome.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Maybe that is why everybody else uses a mouse........

5. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

touché :D

6. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Probably correct. Not many people are interested in efficiency when working on a computer. It gives me often the creeps when I see other professionals from my own field (graphic design, mainly with Indesign) fiddling around on the screen.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

OSX has always been far too mouse-happy. For me using a MacBook, it isn't so bad taking your fingers just a few inches to the trackpad. But those with iMacs and such must get exhausted constantly reaching for their mouse. :(

On many dialogs and screens I find it takes less time to cycle through all the controls by going "backwards" (Shift-Tab) until I get where I need to be. Unfortunately, Mail doesn't allow this.