Mail Client Alternative with ability to import existing accounts and old emails?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by irock101, May 13, 2014.

1. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Looking for an alternative to the native mac mail client.
    Would prefer any solution where i can simply import all settings and emails to the new application. Any ideas ?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What functionality are you looking for that isn't provided by the Apple Mail app?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The free mail app Thunderbird can import Mail messages, but you will need to setup the new account manually.

4. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

Changed from macbook pro to mac pro and migrated from time machine update. Now the search function in the native mac mail client doesn't work anymore. No matter what i type it in wont show any historical emails. Have to look through each account manually.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try doing a rebuild and reindex following the steps here. Make sure you do both.

6. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

Thanks for the tip but it didn't help. The search function still doesn't deliver any results.
    Is PostBox a good alternative to the native client?

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I think so. Postbox is based on Thunderbird but has many more features and remains in active development.

Postbox been my default mail client for a long time now.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'd recommend troubleshooting that system problem a little further. You might want to re-index the entire system volume via this method.

9. kumamayo macrumors newbie

Could any postbox user advise if the feature in Apple mail to allow email to be Flagged is available in Postbox?

Most of the other capabilities in Apple mail are in postbox except cannot locate this feature which I use all the time to identify the exact email I need to reference again. With a choice of colours I can easily identify the mails I want, simply quickly.

Having a lot of issues with apple mail on OSX 10.7.5.. Reading through issues a lot of people are facing does not make me want to upgrade to Mavericks.
    Especially for email.

Thanks

KMM

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

Airmail may be able to help. Download the free beta version off their site to try it out first.

11. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

MailMate will import your account directly from Mail. It's IMAP only so if you have POP or Exchange accounts those cannot be used with MailMate.

MailMate http://freron.com

12. irock101 thread starter macrumors 6502

irock101

Thanks for all suggestions. The weird thing is spotlight search works for mail, but the actual search function in mail delivers 0 results each and everytime.
    Re-indexed mailboxes and tried every suggestion given so far.. no luck.

It gets even weirder as i did a time machine backup and cloned it on my macbook pro. The search in mail works fine there, just cant get it on the MAC PRO LATE 2013 to run.. nothing but trouble with this machine :(

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Just double checking...you tried my suggestion from above (doing a complete reindex of the hard drive)?