Mail Client options..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by philstone, Jul 23, 2012.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

I'm trying to find a suitable mail client for my firms use - we are using Lion Mail server (so essentially IMAP) and have tried a few options but they all come up short at some point.

The needs are:

Correctly formatted signatures (Apple Mail's failing - I know there is a workaround but it needs to be reset if the signature gets adjusted)
    Drag and drop multiple emails for filing purposes (Apple Mail can only move one at a time)
    Saving display configurations (Postbox reverts to standard at every startup - ie conversation view etc)
    Some decent level of support/contact...

Postbox was on the shortlist until they changed their support structure - essentially there is none now apart from their self-help website. The bug reporting feature itself broke last week...

So now I'm trying Outlook 2011..

Is there anything else anyone thinks I should look at?

Thanks

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Too bad Apple was caught sleeping.

Google bought Sparrow, I use it and it's great.

3. etsi macrumors regular

I am looking also for a mail client that will work with gmail and @me acounts.

I have some trouble with mail app (crashing) and not handling gmail well. Unless mail app is going to work better in ML ?

----------

I was going to buy sparrow but development halted, no support.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Now you know why :)

Google will make it even better !

5. etsi macrumors regular

Google will develop an application for mac? :eek:

They will just use them to make their own application for android first.

I am disappointed, I would like to use sparrow :(

6. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

I did try Sparrow but it didn't support moving multiple emails in bulk... :(

----------

Not using GMail but still not convinced about mail - other bugs I encountered are still present..

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You're right, they will enhance it for Android first, it's only natural they would. But since I use Android as my primary smartphone with iPhone being my secondary, I'm both excited and disappointed. I would have liked to see Apple buy Sparrow, but it's not the first time Apple has screwed up, because they were unwilling to pay a reasonable price.

Traditionally when presented with an opportunity to buy something great like Sparrow, Apple low balls them and if they are not willing to nearly give it away for very little money, then Apple passes.

Google on the other hand is more long term oriented, better at spotting good companies, and more willing to pay a reasonable price. Therefore it's usually Google that gets the best deals.

Eventually once it's working really well for Google then they will make it for Mac, give Apple a shot, yet often Apple rejects them out of jealousy. Apple blew it when the had the chance to buy SWYPE.

8. etsi macrumors regular

So the only option is to stay with crashing non gmail compatible mail app...

I wonder if postbox uses code from thunderbird for development which has died also like sparrow.

9. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Postbox is based on Thunderbird coding - just a different GUI...

So is Thunderbird now dead/dying?

10. etsi macrumors regular

"Mozilla's chief lizard wrangler Mitchell Baker announced that the open source outfit will stop active development of Thunderbird".

Any idea what to use next? Please no Ms Outlook :eek:

11. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

As much as it pains me to say it I think it may well be the lesser of 2 evils..

I've been playing with it today whilst on the hunt for an alternative and it seems to be ticking every box.. If only the calendar worked with CalDav (using iCal Lion Server)

12. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Outlook just spectacularly failed - no contacts syncing with iCloud - no syncing with iCal was a pain but could just about live with but no contact syncing?

Useless - the search for a decent mail client continues...